Winter Begins

Here in the Northern Hemisphere, today is the Winter Solstice, the beginning of winter, the shortest day of the year.

Winter is one of the two seasons down here in South Alabama. Most people get four seasons, but down here, we only get Winter and Summer. Plus there are a couple of weeks of mild weather that most people would call Spring and Fall.

This entry was posted in Whatever. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Winter Begins

1. TechGnome says:

At least you get winter…. when I lived in Calif, all we got out there was Summer…. then a week of fall and spring, although each closely resembled the other, it was often hard to tell which was which.

TG

2. Geof says:

Dougal, I’m not even sure that I’d call what you guys get “winter”. Of course, having lived in Ohio before moving to the South, I am biased.

Very true, our “Winter” is pretty mild compared to a lot of places. Here’s a basic rundown of the seasons in my tiny corner of the globe (at least, as I perceive them):

Winter
    Begins around mid-November, runs to about late-March. Typical winter days have a low temp in the 20’s, with highs in the 40’s or 50’s. Snow is extremely rare. We might get a very light dusting once every 10 years.
    Spring
    Roughly, the month of April, maybe including the first week or two of May. Milder temperatures, lows around the 40’s and 50’s, highs rapidly rising into the 70’s or even 80’s. Punctuated by severe thunderstorms.
    Summer
    Runs from mid-May through mid-September. Temperatures are typically unbearably hot, even at night. Extreme over-use of the phrase “It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity” is heard daily. Typically, lows will be in the mid-to-upper 70’s, highs in the mid-to-upper 90’s.
    Fall
    Runs from mid-September to mid-November. Temperatures begin to moderate slightly, lows finally falling into the 60’s, highs in the low 80’s or down in the 70’s. More thunderstorms. And hurricanes. And tornados. Mother Nature likes to tease us a lot at this time of year. She’ll give us a couple of days of really nice cool weather to lull us into thinking that Fall is finally here. We start looking forward to getting out our sweaters and jackets, and sleeping through the night without drowning in a pool of sweat. Then the temps will shoot back up into the upper 80’s for a week.

Summer dominates our year, and to me, it’s pretty much only enjoyable if you have access to a swimming pool. It’s no fun to walk out of your house at 7am to be greeted by a blast of hot humid air that drenches you in sweat by the time you reach your car. And then when you leave work at 5pm, your car’s interior is so hot after baking in the relentless sun all day that you can’t even touch your steering wheel until after you run your air conditioner full-blast for 10 minutes.

4. Matt says:

Y’all get winter? I’m jealous. 😉

5. Geof says:

As you probably remember from living up here, Huntsville gets tornadoes year round. When I left work and felt that it was around 60F outside, I began to wonder if we were forecasted to have severe weather tomorrow. We could. 🙂

Trust me, we get our fair share of tornados down here in the wiregrass area, too. The sound of tornado warning sirens was already familiar to me long before I ever lived in Huntsville 🙂

7. Geof says:

Yes, you do … but you don’t have “Screaming Dan” Satterfield.

Wait … point for the wiregrass!