Help the Hunter Become the Hunted

Since I expect I’m getting a lot of new visitors here due to the recent launch of Ping-O-Matic, and the associated linkage thereof, I guess this would be a good time to ask for some help.

For various reasons, too complicated to detail here at this time, I am relocating my family. Specifically, we are moving to Woodstock, Georgia (in the northwest Atlanta area). This is not just an “I’m thinking about relocating” kind of thing. This is an “I’ve already signed a lease” kind of thing. This is an “I need a new job ASAP” kind of thing.

I’ve been submitting resumes to Atlanta area companies, but I haven’t even had so much as a nibble yet. The nice lady at the Georgia Department of Labor seemed pretty impressed by my resume (.doc, .pdf, and I’ve got a profile on LinkedIn), and though I’m obviously biased, I think it looks pretty good, too. So I’m a little disappointed that I haven’t even had a single call for an interview yet.

So, if you are an employer (or know of one) who needs a web developer / programmer / system admin / network admin / database admin with quite a broad range of skills and a knack for coercing disparate systems into talking to each other, I’d love to hear from you!

And in case you’re wondering, there’s nothing wrong with my current employer, really. I really expected to be here for many years to come. But my family comes first, and we are moving to serve our family’s needs. So, we’re moving, even if I have to get a McJob and live off of ramen noodles. But I’d much rather have a job that involves blinkenlights and programming reference books. :)

This entry was posted in Personal, Work and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Help the Hunter Become the Hunted

1. Pingback: geek ramblings » Brain dump

2. Pingback: alexking.org: Blog

3. Geof says:

Dougal:

I have a friend who works for Itty Bitty in the ATL if you want to ping him for info. Reply via email if so. :)

4. Rayne says:

Good luck! I read your about page and noticed it says Enterprise. I live in Montgomery, so there’s a fellow Alabamian lurking the WP forums.

5. Pingback: WordPress WordBlog

6. Mark Shields says:

Taking a quick look at your resume, it is indeed impressive but possibly a bit excessive. Several tips I’ve learned along the way to writing a professional resume:

-Make it fit on one page if possible. It has a neat and clean appearance. Most employers don’t want to go past the first page, either.
    -Adjust the resume to target an employer’s needs. While it’s impressive that you know how to code assembly on an 8086, I seriously doubt any are in use today.
    -Include a cover letter targeting the employer. Research the prosective employer. Even just taking a look at the company from a glance is helpful. Most employers have stack full of resumes and they think, “What makes this person different than all the others? Does this person know anything about the company?” Showing that you know at least a little makes them think you’re seriously interested.

Following the above steps I landed my first IT job. My main problem was I had no professional experience in the IT industry (hence this is my first IT job), but I have a lot of experience at home with my own computer(s) and network, along with supporting other people’s computers, mainly family.

7. Mark Shields says:

I forgot to include: I work at a small company in Cartersville about 30 miles Northwest of Marietta (Atlanta). If you take Highway 41 N or 75 N from Woodstock you’ll get to Cartersville. The company deploys Cable Modem Internet infrastructure for cable companies and provides technical phone support to their customers once it’s deployed. We are always hiring (to my knowledge, I am just a lowly TSR peon :P). Our website is http://www.ibbsonline.com.

8. Ben Ramsey says:

I’m not hiring, but I live just north of Woodstock (15 mins north of it), and I’m a PHP/Web programmer who works in Roswell. Drop me a line sometime; it’s great to know of other developers in the area. Another guy and I are trying to start up Atlanta PHP (http://atlphp.org), a PHP users group. Maybe it’s something you’d be interested in?

9. Natalie says:

We are going to open an office in Atlanta by the end of the year. Actually I wish you found a job much earlier than that but if you are still looking for a job in December, please contact us. I think my boss will be happy to hire you.

10. Pingback: WordPress › Atlanta PHP Genius