Re-resolved

At the beginning of this year, I had resolved to lose some weight. My goal had been to lose one pound per week, though I really only managed about half of that, because I never started exercising as I had intended. By the beginning of May, I had lost right around 10 pounds. Then, in the shuffle of relocating to Georgia, I found myself unable to keep up with my weight loss program. In recent weighings, I find that I’ve gained back all the pounds that I had lost previously.

Now that we’re finally more-or-less settled, Susan and I both wanted to pay more attention to our health. We discussed several options: joining a gym or other exercise program (Jazzercise, Curves, etc), following an established diet/exercise plan (Atkins, Hacker’s Diet, etc.), or just doing our own thing (walking, watching what we eat). We were leaning towards the latter option, but finally decided that we’d like something more structured. We did some research, and after a lot of searching and reading many consumer report reviews, we’ve decided to give the Six-Week Body Makeover plan a try.

We received the materials for the plan a few weeks ago, and we finally made time to review them over the last week or so. Today is our first day on the plan. I won’t bother you with the details of it right now, but basically, it suggests eating five or six small meals each day, and it outlines a light cardio/resistance exercise program, designed to shape specific muscle groups, according to your particular “problem areas” and desired body shape. The program seems very reasonable and well thought out. We couldn’t locate any negative reviews in our research.

My breakfast today was an egg white omelette with tomato and a cup of fruit (pineapple and strawberries). At first I was thinking, “one cup isn’t very much.” But between the omelette and the fruit, it was a very filling breakfast. Susan had an omelette, some oatmeal and half a banana. For lunch, we made baked potatos topped with turkey chili (ground turkey, tomatoes, pinto beans, and a low-sodium mix of spices), with a side of steamed broccoli. Again, very filling.

Her plan is slightly different from mine (remember, it’s tailored to your gender and body style), but our meal choices overlap a lot, so cooking meals won’t be a hassle. We pretty much eat all the same types of foods, just in different proportions. For instance, I think she gets more of the complex carbs (like the oatmeal), and I get more fruit, and my protein portions tend to be larger (my omelette had four egg whites, hers had two).

I’ll be tracking my progress here, probably about once per week. The book says that typical first-week weight loss for men is about 5 to 10 pounds. I’m a little bit skeptical, but I’d certainly be happy for it to be true.

This entry was posted in Personal, Weight. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Re-resolved

1. perogi says:

My fiancee and I have been doing Southbeach diet for the last 2 weeks. I have been really full the entire time. I am a major sugar junkie but haven’t had any physical cravings (just mental/bored ones). I highly recommend this diet. I have lost 15 pounds in the first two weeks and my fiancee has lost 10. I am halfway to the target. She is about 33%.

Worst part of the diet? The amount of time that it takes to cook everything. That does have it’s upside though as T is very happy that we are spending more time together. Happy lady in the house makes my life a lot easier =)

Hope this helps.
    perogi.

2. danithew says:

South Beach diet does work if you stick to it. The food is very tasty as well, as long as you like meat, vegetables and string cheese. I fell off the wagon but I think my wife is putting us both back on that diet. Good luck in your plan!

3. It looks like the South Beach Diet uses the “many small meals” theory, too. My meal plan is moderately restrictive. For instance, I’m supposed to avoid beef, pork, and dairy. I can have rice or potatoes, but I’m supposed to avoid corn. I can eat pineapple, peaches, berries, and cantaloupe, but I’m supposed to avoid watermelon and oranges.

We’ve been eating a lot of chicken, turkey, and eggs (without the yolks). But we’ve been cooking it up in creative ways. I made some chili from ground turkey, pinto beans, and tomatoes that came out really good. Susan made some “balsamic garlic chicken” the other night from one of the recipe cards, and it was fantastic.

And with the scheduled between-meal snacks, I’ve constantly felt pretty full. Sure, I occassionaly jones for a cookie or some cheese, but I’ve got pretty good willpower.

I snuck some weight stats into the bottom of the menu here on the site. In just two days, the scale shows me 6.5 pounds down, and even my trend-weight calculation (borrowed from the Hacker’s Diet) has me down more than 4 pounds. I’m really anxious to see the results over a full week, hoping that it’s not just a fluke of fluctuating water weight ;)

4. indieb0i says:

Good luck with the diet. I’m glad you didn’t the Atkins, as though popular diets tend to not be very good for most. This one sounds pretty interesting. Excercise is really the key to keeping the weight down. While my girlfriend and I are fine weightwise, we’d definitely like to be a lot healthier. Most of the time we’re good with eating better, but that excercise bit sure is tricky.

5. Yeah, as working parents, it can be really hard to make the time for exercise. But the 6WBM exercise program only calls for about 15 minutes, twice a week, so I think we can manage it. We’re going to study the notes on that tonight.

6. Suze says:

Well, the 6WBM *does* encourage walking around 4-5 times per week for accelerated fat burning; however, it also says that approximately 70% of the weight loss will be from the food plan. But yes, I agree that exercise is definitely a key to weight maintenance and yes, anyone with a family and work certainly knows how hard it is to squeeze in an exercise regimen.

7. News Media says:

I don’t think a diet is a permanent solution. And you already know that: soon after stopping it, you gained all the extra weight back. Keep in mind that weight swings are worst than being fat IM(not so scientific)O.

I suggest that you have a healthy eating habit, assuring healthy and balanced nutrition, and just have smaller portions in your meals until you reach your desired weight. It’s better than believing in the diet du jour… You must think about weight management for the next 5 or 10 years.

8. Suze says:

Well, Mr. “News Media”, if that is indeed your real name, first, I’m assuming that you posted to get your link out there to sell something, a link which my husband promptly deleted. Second, I just have to enter a big “DUH!!” here in the comment immediately following yours. Hmm.. a lifestyle change in eating and exercise habits, and maintaining that lower weight for a lifetime. Wow – I just didn’t consider that *at all* when I was researching eating plans for the past six months. (See Blondestar if you need further clarification.) Third, anyone who has the sense God gave an ant knows that you can’t assume to diet, and then maintain that lower weight by resuming your former eating and lifestyle habits. Fourth, if you had read my husband’s original post, you would note that he discussed this being a healthy-eating lifestyle change *and* that further he discussed eating in smaller portions rather than this being the “diet du jour”. And finally, just for the record, I noticed that you didn’t record *your* weight in your post…

9. bugs says:

Hey you two–good luck with the 6WBM! I just started it, and i LOVE it. I feel better every day, I know the food I am eating is good for me, and I can see it making a difference already. I have not started the exercise part of the program yet–I am letting my body adjust to this huge food change and the lack of caffeine. (auuugh!)But I know that within a week I will be where I need to be emotionally to start the workouts. I, too, did lots of reading up on this plan and many others, and I think 6WBM makes the most sense, especially as it is tailored to your bodytype. Good luck to you both—my ultimate goal is to not weigh more than any one member of the Washington Redskins. Wish me luck! Oh, and I am facing this as a lifetime eating change, too. (duh) : )

10. Shannon says:

I was really glad to see your comments! I am interested in your progress! my mother and I are both considering this plan, I am to be in a wedding in three months, and want to drop about thirty pounds by then. I also want to improve my nutrition, and start feeling better! These post pregnancy pounds are killers!

11. Diet Guru says:

It’s nearly impossible for a normal person to lose 10lbs of fat in 1 week.

12. Paul says:

Swiming worked wonders for me. 5 hours of swiming each week worked like crazy and I went to having muscle in under a month.

13. Fred Hoffman says:

Hey Guys,
    First: Congratulations on your decision and on your progress.
    And secondly a little trick that Gayle and I have been using lately that is making a big difference. Forget about LOSING and start GAINING.
    We are both type A personalities. The thought of LOSING goes against everything. Our minds and bodies naturally resist LOSS of any kind.

You didn’t mention how much extra weight you are planning to change. Our weight goal is 125 pounds between us. We are now working UP toward that goal.

No LOSS or LOSING, GIVING UP or DOING WITHOUT. Our weight chart is now a “Score Card” and it moves UP. Each time the scale indicates movement in the desired direction, we “score” another one for the good guys.

Semantics? Maybe; but it sure has improved our approach to this entire project.

Again, Best of luck.