Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith

Big family day yesterday. Susan, I, our two kids, Susan’s parents, our friend Kenn and two of his daughters, all went to see Revenge of the Sith (Kenn’s wife, Amanda, and their youngest daughter visited relatives). Due to the size of our group, and the size of the rest of the audience, we wound up sitting about three or four rows from the front of the theater. Not the optimal viewing position, but it worked well enough. It’s pretty easy to get immersed in the film when your entire range of vision is consumed by it.

Verdict? It was great.

Some of the acting could have been better (in particular, except for Mace Windu’s big fight scene, I felt like Samuel L. Jackson was phoning in his performance), but the overall story was what I was hoping for. Without giving out any spoilers, there was lots of action, just enough politics, a tiny bit of romance, several incidents of dismemberment, and plenty of fear, anger, death, betrayal, and angst. Did I mention dismemberment? And a bit of painful disfigurement. That’s why this one is PG-13, you see.

Darth Sidious is sufficiently manipulative and evil. Yoda kicks a suitable amount of butt. Anakin is torn between loyalties to the Jedi, the Republic, and Padme. Obi-Wan is noble. The wookies are big and furry. The lava planet is hot (but at least it’s a dry heat). And we finally get to hear James Earl Jones again.

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Family, Fun, Movies and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith

1. Pingback: Blogs Of The Day » popular articles on WordPress blogs

2. Dan says:

I agree – kickass 🙂 Saw it opening night, 12:01 AM.. I have never seen that many weirdos running around in costumes in my life. Good movie though! lol

3. Alan says:

“If you are a Star Wars fan and you don’t like this movie, you’re being too picky, and you need to relax. Have a beer. Or two.”

I couldn’t have said that better. I took the film for what it is, and I really liked it!
    Too bad for people’s high expectations though.

4. levee says:

Yep. I saw it on opening night too and it was brilliant! We had a friend with us who was a big fan, who actually said Episode II was better than this!

In my opinion, it tied up the storyline very well and gave us the missing piece of the Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader story.

And it has all the action you mentioned.

5. fx says:

I agree – a great movie. I too found some of the acting strange, not bad… but strange.

6. Loved it. They didn’t just tie up loose ends. They welded them together…

7. Pingback: JohnBlog » Blog Archive » Star Wars - Only a movie?

Did I mention dismemberment?

It begins with dismemberment, and ends with dismemberment. And painful disfigurement.

I thought that was pretty cool.

9. Denis says:

Let’s underscore ACTING. It’s a great movie but Hayden Christensen demonstrated that pretty much any whining, troubled, and tormented teenager can become the apostle of all evil in the universe. Huh???

If my grammy was there, she woulda smacked him upside the head and said “Boy, what you doing? Go on and listen to your Yoda. Go on. Get.”

10. Ryan says:

And he probably would have obeyed… if your grammy was a Jedi, as it seems he was pretty obedient through most of the film, which is why I think he came out that way. I imagine that’s how Lucas meant it to be. 🙂

And I agree, great movie!

11. logtar says:

(but at least it’s a dry heat) ROFL

12. Navid Azimi says:

OK, but in all fairness — who allowed that terrible horrible “Noooooooooo” go through? I mean I laughed from embarrassment. I can do with some cheese but SW3 was just unbearable in that regard.

13. Dana says:

ACting? C3Po had better facial expressions than did Skywalker. But, Skywalker did eventually display emotions other than the big brood. When he was in the mask and Mr Jones supplied the voice.

14. Michael says:

All the actors did a great job. The most brilliant performance belongs to Hayden Christensen especially when he starts acting as the bad guy. Ian McDiarmid was great too.

15. aguy says:

well i just watched it and the ENTIRE scene with vadar is corny, emperor tells him he killed padme he goes nuts and you see darth vadar actually upset? GTFO the “Nooo” made me split my splein laughing so hard and it was just corny, and when obi fought vadar that was so corny i mean the whole “the darf force is bad”-obi “well in my opinion i think the jedi force is bad” WTF??
    cornyness everywhere, worst acting i have ever seen it looks like anikin was more mature in episode 1 than 2 and 3, when he grows up he becomes a moron.
    and the whole “master” “master” was lame the guy who played anikin was wrong and gay,
    end

16. Jay says:

yea it was great exept the Star Trek Fans Showed up at the theater to dis us star wars fans lol

17. Jeremy says:

I agree also Episode III was excellent…I really hate those critics that claim to be intellectual for liking movies that “are not cliched.” Simply enough, the critics like movies that suck (as in the movie Sideways). When the New Yorker stated that Episode III was terrible, it lost all of it’s credibility.

18. SW FAN! says:

This movie rocks! hayden was great. he is also cute! i love the scene where Obi-Wan And Anakin Battle.(by the way that part was not corny it was off da chain!). I was also sad for padme and anakin. anakin has too much anger, hate, and sadnes, and padme dies from anakin turning to the darkside of the force and also childbirth. but ya do get ta hear James Earl’s voice again again. It fit perfecly in its series.

19. Nils says:

Sorry, but the acting it it sucked pretty badly. It had impressive visuals, that’s for sure. But the dialogue was horrible in most cases. I kept thinking, “Oh for heaven’s sake, get on with it already” and I was happy when the damned thing was finally over. It’s not quite as bad as Ep1 and not nearly as bad as Ep2 (which was the worst Star Wars, ever), but it’s still a waste of time.

20. vargas says:

It was a fine movie. The only people who nitpick about this or that are people who don’t have more constructive things to do with their time.

21. I loved Star Wars 3! It was the best thing I’v seen in years! I thought it was great! The only people in my house that watch them is me and my dad. The rest don’t know there missin:)!!!

22. Trait says:

Hi does anyone know were i could download the fight yoda vs Palpatine?

Trait: have you tried searching on YouTube?

24. Trait says:

Even if its there i need to download it from somewere