WordPress 2.0 Release imminent

Just three hours ago, Matt posted this on the wordpress-hackers mailing list:

Subject: [wp-hackers] 2.0 Release

Wednesday or Thursday, depending on the phase of the moon.

Now would be a great time to start making sure your themes and plugins work with the new version, and post to hackers if you need any help updating them.

Yow! On the one hand, I’m really excited about this release. A lot of the changes are under the hood, with tons of new API hooks, a new object cache system, new user “roles and capabilities” security model, fixes and code refactoring. The major immediate change that most users will see is the new WYSIWYG post editor. Personally, though, I’ll turn that off, because I prefer crafting the xhtml for my posts by hand.

The new API hooks are going to enable a whole new class of themes for WordPress which have built-in customization options. An early example is Michael Heilemann’s K2 (which is actually built off of WordPress 1.5, but will take advantage of 2.0 features soon).

On the other hand, as you might infer from the ‘2.0’ version number, this is a major change release. You may very well run into ‘issues’ (as we in the software development community like to politely call them) when upgrading from older versions of WordPress. I strongly suggest that anyone who is upgrading an older version of WordPress to 2.0 should backup everything. Backup your entire existing wordpress directory and your database tables. This is particularly true if you rely on third-party themes or plugins. Most people will probably upgrade without incident. For for those (hopefully) few who run into problems, a backup is going to be essential.

That said, it looks like it could be a very Merry Christmas indeed for us WordPress users :)

This entry was posted in Blogs, Software, WordPress and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to WordPress 2.0 Release imminent

1. Pingback: btd - uniwersalny Nitrous Express » wordpress 2.0

2. Pingback: Betaflow.com: Information Technology for Bloggers » Blog Archive » Wordpress 2.0 Coming Soon

3. Tom says:

I urge people to backup anyway, seriously go do it now!

4. Pingback: slaff @ reworked | Wordpress 2.0 Release

5. Pingback: The PC Doctor » Blog Archive » WordPress 2.0 is imminent!

6. Pingback: Radkùv zápisník » Wordpress 2.0 se blí¾í… Veselé Vánoce, psavci!

7. Pingback: Not So Fast at [post]PostModern

8. Pingback: lobstertechnology.com » Weblog of Michael Cutler » Upgrading to Wordpress 2.0

9. Pingback: Footsteps in the Mirror » How Many Times Do I Have To Say It?

10. Pingback: What’s Not Gonna Work in WordPress 2.0 · Asymptomatic

11. Pingback: HTNet

12. Pingback: Inminente salida de WordPress 2.0 at la taberna (alfa)

13. Pingback: Rob Cottingham » WordPress Release Advisory System moves from “elevated” to “severe”

14. Pingback: meneame.net

15. Pingback: Drunkey-Love vs. K2 at Rumore

16. Setti says:

Нашли время :-)

17. Pingback: Weblogger.ch » Archives » WordPress 2.0

18. Pingback: Viper007Bond.com

19. Pingback: desde un lugar mejor.com - yabi blog » Mini noticias

20. Tim Merritt says:

Dougal – I was exploring the default Blogroll posts in my newest WP blog – http://www.dvforteachers.com – and found out that you live in Atlanta. Hiya. I work at Georgia State University in Instructional Technology – looking forward to upgrading my two blogs to WP 2.0 and trying to get more folks at the university interested in blogging as well. The 2.0 ought to make that easier.

Happy Holidays to you.

21. Pingback: le blog à Ollie » Sortie imminente

Tim: Yup, I’m up in the Woodstock/Canton area, and I work near where I-75 meets I-285 (actually more like the intersection of Powers Ferry and Windy Hill).

I saw on your site that you needed to import some old posts from Manilla. If you can get the data into an RSS format, WordPress has an RSS importer that you should be able to use.

23. Pingback: Le grand déballage :: WordPress 2.0 :: December :: 2005

24. Exciting stuff. I think I just peed a little…

25. Pingback: wordpress wank » deja vu. again.

26. Pingback: WordPress 2.0 naht! ‹ bensite.net

27. Jonathan D. says:

I have definitely been using SVN for quite some time now, so all my themes are already compatable, I’m just looking forward to the final release so all the bugs (All? will that ever happen?) get out of the SVN versions. Good job WordPress team!

28. Rick B says:

Thanks for the heads up on the wp-hackers list ;-)

29. Pingback: incoherently surreal

30. Pingback: incoherently surreal | WP 2.0 remix

31. Pingback: Lanten Informatika

32. Pingback: raincontreras.com » Geeking Out: WP 2.0

33. Pingback: WP 2.0 RC3 at Northern Bites

34. Pingback: Donovan’s Blog » Blog Archive » Wordpress 2.0 nearly here…

35. Pingback: Lorelle on WordPress » WordPress 2.0

36. Pingback: Planet WordPress » Blog Archive » What’s Not Gonna Work in WordPress 2.0

37. Pingback: tariq.ca » Blog Archive » Future downtime is imminent

38. Setti says:

backup everything : good advice not to loose everything !

39. Pingback: geek ramblings » WordPress 2.5 Released

40. V1 says:

I still prefer 2.0 to 2.5 but now I have 2.6 to deal with….this is just overwhelming…

41. Pingback: Future downtime is imminent - My Habari