del.icio.us daily blog post fixer plugin

I mentioned previously that I wanted to make a WordPress plugin that would touch up the posts created by the del.icio.us “daily blog post” feature. I’ve tinkered with it on-and-off, and finally realized what was preventing the addition of the rel="tag" microformat (I forgot to double-escape some backslashes in a string). So, I present for your automated link posting pleasure, the del.icio.us daily blog post fixer plugin (.zip).

The plugin serves two purposes: it lets you set your own title, instead of the “links for 2006-01-30” format that del.icio.us uses, and it adds a rel="tag" attribute to the del.icio.us tag links (because I like microformats, and one day somebody might make a service that utilizes this information to aggregate tags in the wild across multiple tagging services).

The default post title is set to “Daily Links”. If you want it to be something different, change the variable indicated in the plugin code. I didn’t think it was worth the trouble to create an option screen for one little text string that you aren’t likely to want to change, once you’ve set it. It’s GPL licensed, so share and enjoy!

Dougal is a web developer, and a “Developer Emeritus” for the WordPress platform. When he’s not coding PHP, Perl, CSS, JavaScript, or whatnot, he spends time with his wife, three children, a dog, and a cat in their Atlanta area home.

This entry was posted in Community, Microformats, Plugins, WordPress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to del.icio.us daily blog post fixer plugin

1. Alex says:

The download link is broke…

Sorry about that. The download link is fixed in the post now. Thanks for pointing the typo out to me.

3. James says:

Alex, the word is brokeN

4. BillyG says:

I have to go in anyway to delete the ‘tag’ div line (because it just busy’s up the screen, and that is the real trick, getting to it before the aggregators do, as of last night, I am recv’ing my del.icio.us blog post feed at 12:30am and need to delete the tag div line before the aggregators come by, maybe I just need to look back at the time variable, I don’t remember right now if I determine that or not) but this is still appreciated. Thank you.

5. Pingback: blivet 2.0

6. BillyG says:

Just came back to say thanks, it worked great. I set my timer back to 0 vs 4 and it just kicked off at 8:30pm vs 12:30am lol. Ah, I’m gonna sleep good tonight, guess I’ve been too rapped up to even go back and look at that setting lol. Thx again for the title change.

7. Dude, you rock. In return, I just hope that we absorb all the tornadoes tonight so you don’t have to wake up everyone at your house at 0200.

8. Pingback: Wattenbergh » Blog Archive » Links voor

9. Pingback: del.icio.us daily blog post fixer plugin - wplog

10. Stephanie says:

Any idea on when Delicious plans on fixing the import feature ? I love the plug in but now Delicious has not had that feature since Yahoo bought it so I am considering not using it any more for my wordpress blog.

11. Pingback: 5ThirtyOne | It’s not wheatgrass » Clean up del.icio.us daily posting titles

12. Pingback: geek ramblings » No more automatic link posting

13. Pingback: __Sakurazuka No Maboroshi__

14. Pingback: Daily Links at fusion94.org

15. Pingback: IM:Blog » Blog Archive » links for 2006-04-29

16. Pingback: Daily Links | klyx.net

17. Pingback: testblog » Blog Archive » Daily Links

18. Bruce Lewin says:

Thank you very much for this 🙂 here’s to the aggregation of wild tags!

19. Pingback: Underground Dragon » Daily Links

20. Pingback: Rex is Excited » Blog Archive » Daily Links

21. Pingback: Davy van der Zanden » Del.icio.us

22. LiewCF says:

does the plugin required WP2.0? I am using WP.1.5.x and it doesn’t seem to work.

LiewCF: Yes, this plugin uses filter hooks that are only available in WordPress 2.0 or higher.

24. I’m WP 2.0.4 and this doesn’t work for me. The post is created, using the title I specified. I get a Google Blogsearch alert, even, with the content and URL of my post. But it doesn’t appear on the blog page, and when I edit it in the WP dashboard, the preview is an error (in my case, it just redirects to the main page of my site).

If I open the entry and save it, it then appears on the blog.

I’ve deactivated it, for now. No idea how to fix any of this.

25. Jimmy says:

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone could help. I did something stupid and started my blog using a numerical archive system, and now I'd like to change it so that the post title is part of the URL for SEO reasons. Is there any WordPress plugins that anyone knows of that could switch it without sending Googlers to invalid pages? Maybe some sort of redirector to the correct page?

Thanks.

26. Re: comment 25; this was not the plugin problem, it was the configuration with delicious, entirely my fault, fixed now and working great, thanks!

27. Pingback: WordPress爱好者 » Blog Archive » del.icio.us daily blog post fixer plugin

28. Ismael says:

What I want to do on my blog, is every few hours take the oldest post and move it to the
    front of the queue, all automatically. Anyone know if there is a plugin that can do this or
    a simple way to set up another plugin to do this (use my own feed perhaps)?
    Thanks.

29. Pingback: links for 2006-12-22 - Pelluz

30. Pingback: Päivittäiset Del.icio.us-linkit siistimmin | Satunnainen Björklund

31. Pingback: Go Go Gracie! » Blog Archive » Daily link roundup

32. Pingback: links for 2007-04-26 « CF Bloke blog

33. Pingback: Akkam’s Razor

34. Pingback: links for 2007-05-02 | Napolux.com

35. 美味书签的某些功能还是不完善的……

36. Dubai news says:

really a useful plugin. will you be updating it for WP 2.2?

really a useful plugin. will you be updating it for WP 2.2?

As far as I know, this plugin works just fine for WP 2.2, and should continue to work with future versions. It only uses two very standard filter hooks.

38. Pingback: WP Plugins DB » Plugin Details » del.icio.us daily blog post fixer

39. angie says:

It generates error in the latest wordpress version, how could I fix that?

40. Mr Henree says:

Thanks for the previous work. Looking for updates.

41. Pingback: tmyaksmda» ブログアーカイブ » links for 2008-03-08

42. Paul says:

Thanks for the plugin – it’s cool.

However, I’d also like to add the date to the title of the post, e.g.:
    ‘My del.icio.us Links for 16 May 2008’.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about PHP. I tried doing the following:

$mytitle = “My del.icio.us Links For “;

$linkstoday = date(‘j F Y’);

$text = preg_replace(‘/links for \d\d\d\d-\d\d-\d\d/’, $mytitle, $linkstoday, $text);

return $text;

——–

However, this just formats the title as:
    ’16 May 2008′

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

43. Pingback: links for 2008-05-20

44. Pingback: links for 2008-06-04 - Barbablog

45. Pingback: Liens du jour - Barbablog

46. Pingback: À la base 2 » Archives » Liens du jour

47. Pingback: À la base 2 » Archives » Billets “Liens du jour”

48. Sherwin Techico says:

Any updates to this or others that does the same job and compatible w/ 2.5+? Thanks for the hard work regardless.

49. Pingback: Daily Links | Angie Said

50. Pingback: Wicks Picks | The personal website of Todd Wickersty » Blog Archive » Wick’s Daily Picks

51. BenwayNet says:

I was about to download and try this on my site, but because of comment number #22, I’m wondering if this pluging works with WP 2.5 or now 2.6?
    Thanks,jb

I don’t use the delicious posting feature on my site anymore, but I’ll try to set up a development server soon to test this plugin against the latest WP release, and put out an update if necessary.

53. Pingback: Wicks Picks | The personal website of Wicks Picks » Blog Archive » Wick’s Daily Picks

54. Pingback: Wicks Picks | The Personal Website of N. Todd Wickersty » Blog Archive » My WordPress Plugin Picks

55. Pingback: Jenerally Speaking » Blog Archive » My “Delicious” Links for Today

56. Pingback: links for 2006-04-08 | GFMorris.com

57. Pingback: Out of Comfort Zone - Billets “Liens du jour”