ViaList

A couple of years ago, when we moved to the Atlanta area, I was working as a contractor doing some web programming on a project that I couldn’t say much about, because I had signed an NDA. But now I can talk, because the product is officially released (actually, I suppose I could have talked about it back when it was in beta). That product is ViaList.

A program that helps you make and share lists may not sound like a big deal, but when you actually use the software and see how intuitive it is, you could very well end up adding it to your list of favorite tools. I often see new utilities come onto the scene for the Mac and think, “I wish there was something like that for Windows.” This is one of those rare programs that turns the tables, and could have Mac users wishing they had ViaList (there are plans to make a Mac client, eventually).

A lot of what I worked on was on the system administration side, configuring the server for email, setting up the bug tracker, creating a “single sign-on” system, etc. But I also worked on a very early proof-of-concept for the web-based list interface. Oh, and with me being a WordPress dev, the site ended up using WP for its blog.

Susan and I have used it to maintain lists of projects around the house, shopping lists, and planning tasks for web sites that we’ve worked on together. This kind of asynchronous planning is very convenient. Anyhow, if you have a need to keep various kinds of lists (to-do, dated events, priorities, shopping, etc.), and especially if you need to coordinate the lists with other people, you should take a look at ViaList.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Applications, Software, Tech, WordPress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to ViaList

1. Eric says:

And this isn’t a fully web-based application because…?

Because it wants to be able to work offline. It shines best in light of the fact that the lists can be shared via the net. But it’s a stand-alone application that doesn’t require you to be online in order to use it. Granted, that’s a condition that’s becoming more and more rare, but there you go.

3. Ben says:

But would there be a market for this kind of thing?

4. stabani says:

i like listyourlist.com as well :-D

5. Ian Clifton says:

Free for now, but how much later? It could most certainly be a useful tool, but useful enough to charge? You customize your Google homepage to have all kinds of lists, though I’m not sure if any of them allow sharing–but that probably isn’t far away. I think it could be web-based with a simple client for managing lists offline. It would be beneficial to be able to create a list from home and view it at work without having to worry about extra apps.

6. Sam says:

AirSet.com
    Free to use. They hope to make their money by selling monthly service to access calendars etc., via mobile phone access. Nice write up in this month’s issue of PC Magazine. On my way to check it out now.

or

BackPackIt.com
    Which my wife and I use. Free. You can share or lock down your lists. Rearrange priorities by drag and drop and add notes to do-do items. Whiteboard for collaborating. Nice, easy interface – very intuitive.

7. If you are offering something for free now then what will be the cost in coming time. Is that still gonna be free or is it going to be chargeable.

8. Pingback: Shades of Gray… » Blog Archive » An online list sharing program?

9. “ViaList is software that helps your club, group, committee, or family stay organized and up-to-date. It lets you share any kind of list — things to do, contact information, agendas, ideas, whatever you need — as easily as sending an e-mail.” Thnx for that useful information and seriously it’s gonna help us alot!