WordPress 2.2 Released

WordPress 2.2 “Getz” is now official. I’ve listed some of the changes previously, but here’s another quick rundown:

• Atom feeds updated to Atom 1.0
  • Preliminary support for Atom Publishing Protocol
  • Widgets are now supported in core
  • Protection against activating broken plugins
  • “Deactivate All Plugins” button. Sadly, my “Reactivate All Plugins” patch didn’t make it into this release. Hopefully you’ll see it in WP 2.3.
  • Improvements to comment management
  • Code optimizations and speedups
  • Future WYSIWYG support for the Safari browser
  • Post Preview moved into a popup window, rather than an iframe on the Write page
  • WordPress-specific XML-RPC API
  • JQuery support

You can find a list of changes for version 2.2 on the WordPress Trac site. Ready to sample the new hotness? Start downloading!

This entry was posted in Software, WordPress and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to WordPress 2.2 Released

1. Richard says:

It’s great. I like that. Widgets at last enters the core.

2. Ryan B says:

The whole wigdets support in core, confuses and scares me. I am hoping we aren’t made to use widgets. Implementing widgets on my blog, made me go from 0 xhtml errors to like 43 errors. Yes errors, not warnings. Do you see why I am just a tad against mandating widgets?

3. Derrich says:

Don’t be scurred, Ryan! :P Ok. Maybe a little. 2.2, here I come!

4. Jenny says:

great. now to wait for fantastico to get it so i can upgrade. xD

5. NewMexiKen says:

Seems fine with some very nice improvements.

One thing that is broken however. ExecPHP only good for one widget. Widgets 2 through 9 just repeat code in Widget 1. Alas.

6. Lauren says:

This update is actually awful. I’m downgrading…now.

7. Matteo says:

Finally!!

Thanks

8. Truden says:

One of the features:

Infinite comment stream, meaning that on your Edit Comments page when you delete or spam a comment using the AJAX links under each comment it will bring in another comment in the background so you always have 20 items on the page.

What about making WordPress not such a SPAM eater and get rid of Akismet?

9. Pingback: Wordpress 2.2 rilasciata | ShinRa House

10. Pingback: WordPress 2.2 ya disponible - Carrero Bitácora de los Hermanos Carrero, David Carrero Fernández-Baillo y Jaime Carrero Fernández-Baillo.

11. Pingback: WordPress 2.2 发布 at 恍惚之中 | 长翅膀的不一定是天使,也可能是鸟人

12. Pingback: WordPress 2.2 Has Landed : Losing it[1]

13. Pingback: GaMerZ.WordPress

14. Pingback: PapaJoneh.com » Wordpress 2.2 Released to all Bloggers!

15. Pingback: gidibao’s Cafe » WordPress 22

16. Pingback: WordPress 2.2 “Getz” | programmazione

17. Pingback: Ehab Mehedi .NET - Digital Love

18. Ehab says:

This is a very very lovely news for me : )

I will upgrade tonight. I have also posted about this in my blog.

19. Pingback: WordPress 2.2 released at NevilleHobson.com

20. Pingback:   Finally Wordpress 2.2 is now available! by MeloVillareal.com

21. Lubo says:

Truden, nedei taka bez Akismet :)

I find Akismet quite handy it caught just 265,000+ spams since I installed it :)

New version runs like butter

22. mark says:

AWESOME! and it’s named after my favorite jazz artists Stan Getz! I must upgrade!

23. Pingback: Wordpress 2.2 released

24. Pingback: sewmyheadon - Web Design Tips » Wordpress 2.2 Released

25. Pingback: john bollwitt blog » It’s a Matt Mullenweg world

26. Pingback: rodtempleton.net » WordPress 2.2 ‘Getz’ released

27. Pingback: Michal Karaman

28. Pingback: Codice Nuragico [ a micro blog from Nuragic Land ] » Blog » Archivio » Wordpress 2.2 Stan Getz

29. Pingback: Garotos de Web - Wordpress 2.2 disponível

30. NewMexiCan: This should give you a workaround until a new version of phpexec comes out.

31. Pingback: vDomainHosting Blog » WordPress 2.2 Released, works fine on vDomainHosting.com

32. Truden says:

Lubo, I’m not using neither Akisnmet nor Spam Karma.
    I’m on 2KB anti-spam plugin.
    No SPAM since I install it.

33. Ryan B says:

Derrich,
    I am only scared that in 2.2 you will have to use widgets, and everybody has the xhtml compliant link in their footer, but widgets clearly make a site not compliant anymore.

34. Pingback: Wordpress 2.2 | Wordpress info

Ryan,

There is nothing that forces you to use widgets. It’s just that support for widgets is in the core. You can still use a hard-coded sidebar with no widgets.

If you had validation problems, it was individual widgets causing the problem, not the widget system in general.

36. Pingback: As good as Wordpress “Getz”

37. Arun says:

Congrats on the release! I thought post and link categories were going to be separated in this version? Is this on the agenda at all?

38. leekoo says:

at the moment i’m running WP 2.11 (have not upgraded to 2.12 or 2.13) …

so here’s a question,

to upgrade to 2.2 do i have to

1. upgrade to 2.12
    2. then 2.13
    3. OR
    4. can i upgrade direct to 2.2 …

thanx

39. Leftblank says:

I think an instant upgrade should be possible, but I bet it states that in the documentation ;)

Props for this release, I can’t wait till 2.3!

leekoo: You can just upgrade straight to the new version, there is no need to take all the in-between steps.

41. Pingback: Asroone » وردپرس 2.2 Ùˆ دات کام

42. Reza says:

I think the core supported widgets are the important imrovment in this version

شادمانی بی سبب من و رضا

43. Recensioni says:

This is not a major update, I will wait for the next one before upgrading.

44. Libri says:

I was so curious and I have decided to upgrade to 2.2 : it’s working quite well, and there are some nice improvement such as the post preview that everytime causes to me a lot of problems (probably due to my IExplorer version because with Firefox was not the same)

45. Mosley says:

I tried installing it and it gave me alot of error messages. I even tried a clean install. I think even the great JohnChow had problems with the new version.

46. We’re thinking of updating our “new” mini-site blogs to the latest version.

47. gry says:

great, will upgrade in a day or tw

48. pea says:

great. now to wait for fantastico to get it so i can upgrade

49. cllpsd says:

Truden, nedei taka bez Akismet ;)

50. Hey Dougal, how about packaging your patch as a plugin? Could you make that happen? Seems like you’d just add a field in wp_options that was an array of the plugins deactivated, and then activating the Reactivate Plugins will activate whatever else was activated [or give you the option of doing so].

[I came here because I dreamed you’d already done this and was looking for the download link.]

51. Pingback: links for 2007-12-31 | GFMorris.com