Now on Slicehost: Me!

If you are seeing this post, then you are getting pages served from my new server at Slicehost. I still have to migrate my other web sites, and figure out how I’m going to mange email, but this was a big hurdle, and I’m glad to say that it went pretty smoothly. There are still some old files that I haven’t put back in place yet, so if anything seems awry, don’t be too surprised. I know of a couple of things I need to take care of, but I’m sure there are others that haven’t crossed my mind yet. So feel free to contact me if you see anything wrong on the site (dead links, missing images, etc.).

When I was shopping for a hosting company, there were a few final contenders in consideration. But Slicehost hit a sweet-spot in the variables of price, host stats, and that certain je ne sais quoi that tells you that a company seems to Get It. “Built for Developers” — that’s a good start right there. You want Plesk or Webmin? They don’t give it to you. But you can install it yourself if you really want it. Yeah, baby — that’s my kind of hosting.

This entry was posted in Announcements, General, Servers, Services and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Now on Slicehost: Me!

1. A Burn says:

Who were you using before? Why did you switch? I am thinking about switching but I’m not sure who to go with.

Thanks!

2. DontDudeMe says:

I’m curious as to whether you are still happy with SliceHost? I’m in the position of having to either re-up my annual hosting contract shortly, or move elsewhere. I’m not totally dis-satisfied with my current host, but am interested in moving enough to do some research.

So far, so good. The real test will come when I get around to posting something new about WordPress, which usually generates a decent traffic spike.

4. Dan Milward says:

We just moved a new MPMU site to Slicehost and it seems pretty good.

Last night though I got an automated email from Slicehost saying that I have having memory issues:

This is an automatic notification to let you know that your slice is showing a considerable amount of consistent swapping activity. Quite often this is an indicator that your application or database are not as efficient as they could be. It also may indicate that you need to upgrade your slice for more RAM.

We are using a vanilla WordPress MU 1.5.1 install on a Centos built. And the very scary thing is that we were not even taking hits at the time.

I think that the Slicehost automated service may have just identified a memory leak / problem with WPMU?

Dan: I got a similar notice at one point. In my case, I think I had somehow ended up with two separate sets of Apache processes running (probably by using /etc/init.d/apache2 to start one time, and using apache2ctl to start another time). Once I got all the apache processes killed and restarted it fresh, everything seemed to settle down. I also ended up installing XCache for PHP opcode and var caching, along with the XCache Backend for WP.

The high memory usage of mod_php apps like WordPress is a common problem. If you can’t work around it by other means, you might consider researching how to switch to FastCGI for your Apache/PHP config. I haven’t gone that far yet, but it’s worth consideration for sites with high usage requirements.

6. Dan Milward says:

Hi Dougal. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the time. I’m pretty certain that there was a memory leak in CentOS. Anyway it was too hard to fix so we have rebuilt the server using Debian (we heard that it is what wp.com use) and we will be testing it on Monday – after which I’ll be able to confirm whether we were correct regarding the leak.

Some other things that we’re going to do to ensure this projects runs smooth:
    - explore the use of nginx
    - host images & files on S3
    - explore using FastCGI

Ciao,… Dan

7. fak3r says:

I can’t say enough about Varnish, the reverse-proxy caching app that is a huge step up from Squid. It’s dead simple to use too, install it, have it run on port 80 and point requests to your webserver (I recommend nginx) running on a diff port like 82. After that, learn what you can do with the config of the vcl file that determines how/what gets cached – done.

8. Pingback: Syndactyly forums up and running again :: geek ramblings

9. Web Hosting says:

Is this a VPS? I think this site is definitely a candidate for a vps or maybe even a dedicated depending on how many sites like this you have in your network

10. Pingback: Whither Spam? :: geek ramblings

11. Emo says:

I wish to change the hosting. Yet I do not know what to choose.
    Tell not much about your hosting and advise what to choose.
    Thank you very much.

12. Kelso says:

Congrats.. I was checking them out I heard they are a rackspace company..

13. Dan Milward says:

Hows things mate?Just wondering if you’re still with slicehost? There are a few more options now and I’m noticing that my slice is slowing down after all these years :PCiao,Dan