Knee Update – Day 5

I think I’m in the “it gets worse before it gets better” phase of recovery from my knee surgery. Maybe I just overdid things yesterday (visited our chiropractor and went out to a restaurant for dinner). Today I had a headache all day and my stomach has felt just a little off — not naseous, but not hungry. Of course, part of my trouble might be lack of sleep. I can’t move around like normal, and anytime I need to move my leg in the slightest, I wake up. It’s taken its toll on me, and I wound up conking out for a good portion of the day.

But, I still try to do the exercises that the physical therapist showed me. At least after seeing the therapist, I have a better idea of what I can and can’t do with my leg. It’s not in as fragile a state that I initially thought, so I’m able to move it more than I had thought over the weekend. But I definitely can’t attempt to put any weight on it, or I would risk tearing the ligament grafts loose.

It’s frustrating that there is so little that I can do for myself or for my family. I can move on crutches from my bed to the couch, and I can even maneuver myself to go to the restroom on my own, but that’s about it. I have to use a bath chair to take a bath, because I can’t get my bandages wet. And my wife has to help me with that, because you might be surprised how difficult it can be to get yourself in and out of a bath chair when you can’t move your leg.

It’s really taking a toll on Susan, because in addition to her already busy schedule for work, grad school, and household, she now has to take over all the things I normally would do, and she has to take care of me on top of all that. We have a little bit of help, but nothing really substitutes for having both of us up and functional. I’m going to owe her one primo vacation when I’m back on my feet again.

I’ve got at least three more weeks on crutches, and probably a few more weeks after that before I can help out with some of the heavier house and kid help. And I’ll still have a few more months of healing to go after that before my knee will be ready for really normal activity levels. I’m anxious to be done with it. I’m usually a very patient person, but this is not something I want to be patient about.

This entry was posted in Personal and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Knee Update – Day 5

1. Oliver says:

Having had a knee surgey three times already I know what you`re talking about. But the good thing is – when it`s over you could actually think about Tae Kwon Do again. Well, if I were you I would wait a year with this and do other things like swimming, biking or even jogging for a while. Have a look at your video in the last knee post and think twice if Tae Kwon Do is the right thing for you. May be without taking new risks again, without entering a competition?

Get well soon! (And may be you like to think about supporting Spam Karma GPL after recovering?)

2. Jay says:

Recovery is always rough, but I have found that you have to be even more careful as you get closer to completing your rehabilitation; the temptation to exceed your limits always outpaces your actual improvement. Just be careful with yourself – if you re-injure it in the next couple of weeks/months, you’ll become incredibly frustrated with yourself. Good luck with everything!

3. ‘Re-Injury’

Last year I broke my foot at my previous Job.

I couldn’t even make it to the bathroom… It was so very painful.

I could barely stand being helpless. I think, we take for granted, our ability to move around or just walk. When we are crippled in any way, even temporarily, we suddenly realize how thankful we should have been (for me anyway…).

It has been 5 months since my injury and my foot still swells up occasionally when I walk on it too much.

I guess I should take a clue?

If our injury is temporary and we get a second chance, well… Our Human nature is to be or grow impatient through the healing process. I think the key to ‘patients’ is realizing that we ‘will’ recover and being thankful for that.

Besides think about it this way, (This is for me first as I am talking to myself as well), Maybe you need this time to meditate on things you have pushed aside by being too busy..?

What are you avoiding in your personal thought(spirit) life?

Are you the person you truly want to be?

Sometimes we have to stop and listen.

When a shepherd finds a sheep straying, after few times, he finally, breaks it’s leg there-by rendering the sheep helpless and dependent on the shepherd for food and water. The shepherd gives the sheep a name and adopts the sheep into the family which means, he does not shear the sheep for wool, neither does he slaughter it for food.

Once, the sheep is healed, it never leaves the side of the shepherd… Unless, interesting enough, when preventing the other sheep from straying.

Heal well,

-Frank Earp

4. Luke says:

I’d agree with Jay here, the better you get just before the leg being healed the more you have to watch yourself of not becoming too excited about actually using it to the fullest. It is a hard time, but being able to walk properly afterwards is more rewarding than just having fun for a short few moments.

5. jo says:

Frank you have totally lost the plot mate- I think your brain requires urgent attention not your leg- stick 2 reading the bible alone and not on internet…!

As for me aged 38, female (skiing accident) and just about to have a knee replacemet….terrified I won’t ski again- anyone out there similar to me please tell me I can ski again…PLEASE !! Also does it hurt and what is the scar like- is it better to get clips or staples also??? How long b4 skiiing again and back working – Forensic archaeologist. Help PLEASE;-)

Josephine

6. Hosting says:

I am scared to death of knee injuries. Im only 22 but Ive been really bad on my knees since I have been young. Hyper extended both a couple times, continuous cement landings from heights, jumping, football, muay thai, etc. Luckily I havent had anything serious yet but the though of having a injury that requires surgery makes me cringe….

7. Chris says:

My mother had both knees replaced – twice. I am terrified that will happen to me too (arthiritis). My knees have remained in tact through many years of skiing and basketball. I wish you all the best.

8. chiropractor mark says:

My father just had his right knee worked on.  Wow, it was bad.  It took him forever to get back to normal.  Now the doc says he should have his left knee worked on.  Painful, but it needs to be done.

9. I think Jay was right. Recovering from a knee surgery was very though. My auntie knows that. It takes almost 2 years to recover that.