WordPress 2.7 Coming Soon!

WordPress die-hards everywhere are anxiously awaiting the official release of WordPress 2.7, which should be very soon now. A few days ago, WordPress 2.7 RC 1 was announced, and this Friday, Automattic will roll out the latest code on wordpress.com to help flush out any remaining issues that need to be addressed. I’ve been running the new code here for about a month, and I love how much more professional the backend interface looks now.

WordPress 2.7 User Interface

There are a lot of changes in this version, and I have run into one plugin that needs modification to run in WP 2.7 (Drain Hole). Some of the less adventurous among you might want to put in the time to set up a test install before upgrading your production sites, just to be sure that your themes and plugins run as expected. But I figure that one malfunctioning plugin out of fourty is a pretty good ratio, so chances are good that your sites will be fine with the upgrade. There is a page on the Codex to track WordPress 2.7 Plugin Compatibility that you can check to find about some specific plugins.

Have you been testing WP 2.7? What do you think — what are the things like like/dislike the most?

This entry was posted in WordPress and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to WordPress 2.7 Coming Soon!

1. Using WP.com as a pathfinder for problems always seemed to make sense to me.

2. Pingback: GFMorris.com » links for 2008-12-03

3. WebWoke says:

Well, i just very tired in WP update. The update period come very fast. The change so quick, that’s mean that WP is fast and freak Blogging engine.

4. creativeherb says:

I’ve been using WP 2.7 beta on my site and it is awesome so far. The admin interface makes a lot more sense and the comments styling is much easier too. So far 95% of the plugins worked fine too.

5. Nemod says:

This new admin theme is great.

6. Jeff says:

I agree, I really like the admin setup. I havent been brave enough to install yet, I’ll wait for it to get a little more seasoned first.

7. Flüge says:

Especially, the comment-handling is much easier and Akismet-bonding is working fine. I am looking forward for the stable-release. @Robbie, I use your approach with MS-products, so I know your doubts. But trust me, WP is fine.

8. Potty training says:

I still using wordpress 2.6.3 and didn’t upgrade because I’m waiting for this 2.7 update. I had check the admin interface and it is very stylish design.

9. jeff@Beauty tips says:

I have been a long, long term user of wordpress and think its just getting better and better.

However, i still feel its not up to what i want, which is why i hack away at it to get it how i want it.

Guess thats the reason so many mods and the likes are available.

WordPress has to be the best blog software though, and even as a standard install the search engines love it.

10. mobbing says:

Yes I will prove it! MayBe is a good solution for my old wiki!

WP has more useable plugins as the python wiki. 🙂

11. Sadly your HeadMeta plugin in broken by WP 2.7

• Dougal says:

Looks like it’s still working here… It’s a pretty simple plugin using pretty standard API hooks. It would be odd for it to break, unless some other plugin is interfering with it.

Even with All-In-One SEO running here, HeadMeta is still doing its thing for me.

• I’ve got two blogs and both report error:
        Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/[detail-deleted]/public_html/[detail-deleted]/wp/wp-content/plugins/headmeta.php on line 55

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/[detail-deleted]/public_html/[detail-deleted]/wp/wp-content/plugins/headmeta.php on line 62

• Dougal says:

Hmmm, okay, I think I do need to look into that and update the code. I think some of the postmeta functions changed a few versions ago so that they can return a simple string if there’s only one entry, instead of always returning an array.

I’ll get an updated version out as soon as I can.

12. sori says:

I just am getting used to WP 2.7. the new layout on the dashboard seems cumbersome to me, but I am sure I will be able to get used to it soon enough. am I the only one who feels this way?

13. WordPress is becoming more and more a powerful CMS instead of just a blogging platform. I would put it up there with joomla and drupal.