Plugin preview: FancyBox Gallery

I don’t have it ready for release yet, but I’m working on a new WordPress plugin which will integrate the FancyBox jQuery plugin with WordPress galleries. FancyBox is a “lightbox” plugin for displaying images in a nice overlay. I have the basics working, but I need to add an options screen, and resolve some CSS issues when it’s used with certain themes.

I hope to have it ready by next week (depends on how much spare time I can find). In the meantime, click these images for a preview…

When I feel like the code is a little more ready for prime-time, I’ll announce it here, and release the plugin in the WordPress Plugins Directory.

This entry was posted in WordPress and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Plugin preview: FancyBox Gallery

1. Jessi Hance says:

This looks really good! When it’s ready, I’ll definitely give it a spin.

2. Matthew says:

11 javascript permissions I had to temporarily grant to view it, since I wasn’t willing to comb through and figure out which ones were applicable. That’s a lot of JS on one page!

Nevertheless, neat plugin. I’ve seen something similar on Apple’s pages and was impressed with it.

3. Ryan says:

Very nice. Can’t wait to try it out. Any chance it will still support video and inline content in you implementation?

4. drew says:

Looks interesting. The biggest hold-up with this (and lightbox) as I see it is the time it takes to load the image. While the overlay is nice, it doesn’t quite make up for the slowness. (Or is this just a problem for me?)

• Dougal says:

You have to keep in mind that the expanded image will be loaded at full resolution. So the load time will depend on the size of the images you upload and attach to the post. The FancyBox jQuery code scales this image to fit into the browser viewport, so it may appear smaller than what it actually is. For example, the images above are both 800×600 pixels. But when I click on them in my current browser window, FancyBox scales them down by about 30%.

• Tim says:

Very nice. The only thing I noticed is image is not being cached at the first click, i.e. I clicked and closed the same image number of times, every time I click it seems to be reloading the image afresh, not from cache.

5. Jessi Hance says:

drew, it doesn’t seem to me like it takes any longer to load the image than it would to load a whole different page, but I’m on my fast connection at work right now. I’ll take a look from home too. Slowness has kept me from using other similar plugins.

6. Paul says:

With Opera the screen just gets dark for a second. It doesnt appear to be working correctly.

• Opera seems to show the photo in the middle of the site, rather than the middle of the screen. You can still see the full picture, but you need to scroll down. This might have something to do with Opera’s pre-rendering of the whole page in order to have smooth scrolling, so it confuses center-screen with center-page … just a guess.

7. Bob says:

Looks very nice and could be very useful. Hope you find the time to finish it.

8. Kevin says:

Looks good! Been looking for something to replace lightbox 2 because it’s broken with “The Morning After” wordpress theme, hope this will be OK, plus it looks more professionally presented.

Looking forward to it!

9. Pingback: WordPress Watch » Blog Archive » FancyBox Gallery - WordPress plugin preview

10. Neuro says:

A really nice effort for creating such a plugin!
    It will be great to integrate with wordpress galleries.

Good idea and hope you can finish this without headaches :)

11. Kin says:

Very impressive effect Dougal, just wondering whether this will work with other gallery plugins like NG gallery?

12. Wow! I’m really impressed! This gallery plug-in looks great and I cant wait to download it for my blog. Let us all know when you put it in the plug-in directory. Thanks!

13. Hello.

Exist a couple of plugins like this and almost forgot one detail (only lightview do it), when you see the image at full view and you scroll the image are gone for up or down. That’s bad.

But, thanks for your effort to build something free.

14. Stas says:

Hi,
    you might be interested looking at this wordpress plugin:

It’s a one file gallery generation tool, which integrates nice with wordpress.
    Code looks not so smart, but in a couple of minutes I got what I needed :)

15. Tommi says:

This looks good and I like the fact that it works with WP’s standard gallery. I hope you get it working with K2 theme.

16. Hi, I have been working on something similar but haven’t taken many steps to optimise the css etc (lack of time).

I called mine the SchmancyBox plugin.

Perhaps if you wanna combine efforts we could make a better plugin?

Drop me an email if you want to chat about it :)

Cheers,
    George

17. Fritz says:

This looks great! I built a site last year (FunWithEfudex.com) using a hodge-podge of image plug-ins and wasn’t really happy with any of them. I need to revisit that and see if your plug-in, or upgrades to the others, or the new WP2.7, will solve the problems I was having.

18. Matthias says:

I like your Plugin very much. Thank you for sharing.

19. Pingback: FancyBox Gallery 0.1 - geek ramblings

20. It seems like this plug-in is very interesting. Is this now ready? I’m curious to try this out. It’s nice to know that this will integrate the fancybox with the WP galleries.

21. xian2ren says:

Hi,I loved fancybox for brower, wheather the plugins doesn’t support web brower ,like “http://fancy.klade.lv/
    ” ‘s show

22. Kiana Benz says:

I’m trying to get this plugin to work on my site, I’m not a designer and I’m having trouble can anyone point out what I’m doing wrong please. I’ve used the image uploader and that gives me all kinds of words in wordpress but when I go to the page it doesn’t show my images like it does on here. you can see my gallery here kianabenz.com/photo-gallery/

Thanks in advance for any help boys!