Geek Ramblings is Dougal Campbell’s personal blog, where he occassionally dumps bits of content from his brain. He does this for various reasons:
- Because he found something interesting, and thought others might also find it interesting.
- Because he has a bad memory and wants to be able to find the information again later.
- Because he just needed a place to vent.
- Because he was bored.
How does this affect your life? Probably not a whole heck of a lot. But, hey, if you’re reading this site, then some of the above might just apply to you, too, eh?
What is a “Dougal”?
- Ernest MacDougal Campbell III
Dougal is a geek who lives in the small town of Canton, Georgia (which is in the southeastern United States, for any of you visitors from elsewhere in the world). His wife, Susan, is also a geek. Together, they are raising three potential geeks, Jamie, Mary, and Claire. “Dougal” rhymes with “Google” and “frugal”.
I thought your last name was “Gunter”?
No, that’s a common mistake. Almost as common as people thinking that my first name is supposed to be “Douglas”. The “gunters.org” domain has old roots that are hard to explain. I’ll just say that it had something to do with my college years and beer.
How do I get in touch with you?
My Contact Page has a variety of methods you can use.
What have you done for me lately?
- I’m the creator of Twitual, a service which lets you compare your Twitter friends and followers lists in interesting ways.
- I was formerly a core developer on the WordPress project.
- I’ve made several WordPress plugins: Easy Gravatars, FancyBox Gallery, HeadMeta, Theme Preview, and the Text Filter Suite.
- I created the Ping-O-Matic, which provides an easy way for you to ping many blog registration services in one quick step.
- I’ve contributed code to Simplog (formerlyknown as “MyPHPBlog”) in the past
- I added the original code for the Hexagon Pattern to the POV-Ray Raytracer.
- I upload photographs to iStockphoto.com, where you can download tons of high-quality stock photos. Check out my portfolio, if you like.
What can I do for you?
Thanks for asking! I’ll happily accept donations either directly, or in the form of items from my wishlists.
Can I link to you?
What a silly question — please do! Please don’t ask me for link exchanges, though. I link to what I like, when I find it. Blogrolls seem to be in decline anyways.
I occasionally publish product reviews on this site. In some cases, the product or service may have been provided to me for free. I also may use affiliate links to products which provide me with a small commission for referral sales. I make every effort not to let these factors bias my reviews. If I say I like a product, I really like the product — I’m not just claiming to like some piece of junk in order to drive kickbacks. If there is something I don’t like about a product, I will say so. If my honesty ends up meaning that I don’t get free items in the future from some company, so be it.