Text Filter Suite Plugin for WordPress

Since Talk Like a Pirate Day is only three weeks away, I spent some time this weekend revamping my old Fun Filters hack. The result is a new plugin for WordPress 1.2 or higher, which I call the Text Filter Suite. This version basically provides a post and comment filtering framework, which can be controlled on a per-post basis.

Download: or text-filter-suite.tar.gz
You can find the current version of the Text Filter Suite plugin in the WordPress Plugins Directory.

Just to demonstrate, all comments to this post will be piratized. You don’t have to do anything special. Just write your comment as you normally would.

There is more information in the README file.

Update 2004/09/19: Fixed a bug in the pirate filter which caused comments to break on Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Update 2005/09/13: I’ve updated the code a bit since last year to make it compatible with WordPress 1.5. Also, there are a few new pirate phrases and some new acronym expansions in tfs-acronymit. Lastly, I added the licensing information to the README (it’s GPL, if you didn’t already guess).

Update 2005/09/13 #2: Kelson Vibber discovered a problem with Comment RSS feeds, which I’ve tracked down. Unfortunately, fixing it requires modifying a core file (wp-commentsrss2.php). The problem is that if the most recent post on your site has a filter specified in the comment_filter custom post field, all comments in the site comments feed will be filtered (feeds for individual posts will only be filtered if a filter is specified on the post). This is due to to the way that the comments feed is currently generated. I’m going to try to find time to put in some patches for this in the next version of WordPress. In the meantime, you can download my patched version of the file (.phps, .txt, .zip), or re-download the TFS Plugin archive, which now includes the fixed version.

Update 2007-04-26: Some people have asked if this plugin is compatible with newer versions of WordPress. The answer is ‘yes’. At the time I write this, this site is running WP 2.1.3, and the plugin is working just fine. One day, when I can find time, I’m going to rewrite this plugin, give it a sexy web-based configuration interface, and put it into the official wp-plugins repository. More news when there’s news to report.

Update 2008-09-19: Currently running on WordPress 2.6.2, and still working fine.

Update 2013-09-19: I’m up to WordPress 2.7-alpha, and the plugin is still going strong. Huzzah!

This entry was posted in Tech, WordPress, Plugins, TalkLikeAPirate and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

269 Responses to Text Filter Suite Plugin for WordPress

1. Pingback: Photo Matt » Rated Arrrrr

2. Pingback: geek ramblings » The Parrot Says…

3. Pingback: AllensOnThe.Net » Text Filter Suite

4. Pingback: » Techies from the Light Side

5. Pingback: Blogs Of The Day » popular articles on WordPress blogs

6. Pingback: Idiot on a Stick

7. Pingback: Rage Against The Mac

8. Pingback: Elliott Back

9. Pingback: Citypress CVS

10. Pingback: Pretty Pink Ponies Edition

11. Carthik says:

Let’s try this now.

What would I say if I were a pirate. I’d say quite th' same ’cause I’d stay quite th' same.

Yeah, me, a pirate, right!

12. David says:

I just wanted t' try out th' piratizin' stuff, ye scurvey dog. Everyone loves talk like a pirate day.

13. Adam Kalsey says:

Thanks fer th' mention in yer credits fer this, but th' MovableJive filter has very little original code from me. I swiped th' “translations” from elsewhere (but I don’t recall where).

14. Pingback: Rebel Banana

15. Adam said:

Regardless, it were bein' yer MovableJive plugin that I re-borrowed it from, and I wanted t' try t' give credit where credit were bein' due :)

16. Jay says:

I’m tryin' out this pirate stuff. Fire the cannons! I’m not sure I understand how it really works.

Well, here we go so it better be illuminatin'…

17. Craig Hartel says:

I’m glad that ye created this as a plugin! Fire the cannons! Thank ye, good sir, we'll keel-haul ye! I plan on creatin' a Newfoundland version o' th' filter, so I’ll let ye know how that goes!

18. Brian says:

I say, this has t' be one o' th' most amusin' plugins e'er. Ahoy, and a bucket o' chum! I might just install it fer fun, we'll keel-haul ye, to be sure! I also like how ye can add filterin' t' th' whole blog with an extra query strin' parameter.

19. Jina says:

Okay, I am so usin' this on me site on Talk Like a Pirate Day. Walk the plank! And hoist the mainsail! This is so fun. Thanks!

20. BradGad says:

Avast, I were bein' wonderin' when Talk Like a Pirate day is comin' up. This is a handy reminder.

21. Janice says:

Arrrr! Thank ye fer this filter. I’m definitely usin' it on TLAPD.

22. TestOnly says:

Das wollen wir mal ausprobieren. This is a test.

23. Anon says:

Just wanted t' test this Pirate stuff out, it seems pretty cool t' me!

24. Just Some Guy says:

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated t' th' proposition that all men are created equal.

25. Matthew says:

Avast, this is great! And swab the deck! Now all I and me team need is money, whiskey, fair women, strong backs, a fair sea, a followin' wind, and good omens!

26. Sara says:

Thank ye fer th' plug-in, too fun!!! :)

27. Rusty says:

Cool plug-in Dougal, and a bucket o' chum. I enabled it on th' “Talk Like a Pirate Day” post on me site, and will keep it enabled through th' 19th. Fire the cannons, and a bucket o' chum! Just one thin' though: It doesn’t appear t' be playin' nice with Owen Winkler’s Adhesive plug-in. Works fine in th' permalinks t' th' sticky posts though.

28. Dave Seah says:

Very cool plugin! Aarrr! Thanks a bundle fer makin' it available!

29. Anonymous says:

are ye bucket o' chum, go walk th' planl

30. Anonymous says:

flase hype

31. Prashant says:

Is it possible t' have this plugin work on all th' posts instead o' per post?

32. Pete says:

There are hundreds o' uses fer these magnets – from holdin' keys or wrenches on machines t' makin' fridge magnets. Walk the plank! Nickel plated with slightly rounded edges, they can be glued in place with almost any glue (epoxy is th' most secure). Sold individually.

33. Pingback: Nothing Much - jesstech's personal blog powered by toasterdesigns! » 2004 » September » 19

34. test says:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated t' th' proposition that “all men are created equal”

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testin' whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle field o' that war. We have come t' dedicate a portion o' it, as a final restin' place fer those who died here, that th' nation might live, I'll warrant ye. This we may, in all propriety do. But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate — we can not consecrate — we can not hallow, this ground — The brave men, livin' and dead, who struggled here, have hallowed it, far above our poor power t' add or detract, I'll warrant ye. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here; while it can ne'er forget what they did here.

35. Amazing Jean says:

fancy! pirates own. this is amazin'.

36. mark mason says:

Yo ho yo ho a pirate’s life fer me.

37. Lisa V says:

Welcome t' me birthday party – choose yer weapon and join th' crew fer some chow, drinks, and fightin'!

38. Lisa V says:

Happy Birthday t' ye

39. Anonymous says:

I’m just testin' this filter out, thanks!

40. Anonymous says:

Thanks fer yer work, ye will be missed.

41. Thanks fer yer work, ye will be missed.

Am I goin' somewhere?

42. Anonymous says:

I’m just tryin' t' see how this works.

43. steve cooley says:

I thank ye, this is really cool functionality ye’ve added, lubber!

44. Blah says:

Cool stuff

45. Pingback: Michele's Freeminding » Talk like a pirate

46. Orangebeard says:

Good t' have ye aboard! Pick up yer bat and swin'!!!! Nay need t' acclimate! Ahoy! :)

Nice t' have another MUS judge here. . .especially one who has a better handle on what is goin' on than Kirk! :)

Speak truthfully and frankly at all times. Shiver me timbers, by Blackbeard's sword! . .no rules. , ye scurvey dog. .except fer th' ones in th' welcome thread. You have passed th' first test by doin' an intro! THanks!!

47. IBloon says:

Sweet Acid… This is possibly th' collest hack e'er… I am goin' t' install this onto me blog ASAP… Here goes nuttin!

48. Jane Doe says:

Just testin' th' filter out.

[Ed. note: profanity removed.]

49. Jason says:

The quick brown fox jumped o'er th' lazy dog.

50. cjp says:

Ahoy me hearties. Shiver me timbers, host th' mainsail and lubber th' cannons. There is klingons on th' starboard bow Cap'n, I'll warrant ye. You see I don’t need this filter I can speak pirate anyway! Still this is very cool. In fact Roger The Cabin Boy says it is cool enough t' freeze th' balls o' a brass monkey!