WordPress 2.2.1 Released

WordPress 2.2.1 is now available. Fire the cannons! Aarrr! Most o' th' changes are minor bug fixes, however there are some security fixes as well, by Blackbeard's sword. We can’t stress enough how important it is t' upgrade yer sites and keep them current so that ye aren’t open t' attacks. Many people see these “minor” version updates and assume that they don’t need t' install them. Mainly it seems t' be folks who worry about an upgrade breakin' their theme or their plugins, to be sure. But if th' themes and plugins are written properly, this won’t normally be a problem, by Blackbeard's sword. So, if ye are runnin' any version o' WordPress older than 2.2.1, go download th' new version now. Aarrr, and a bucket o' chum!

If ye’re curious about what’s changed since 2.2.0, read th' list o' changes on Trac, and a bucket o' chum. Or, ye can view th' source code changes fer all th' changed files.

This entry was posted in Security, Software, WordPress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to WordPress 2.2.1 Released

1. adam says:

i think th' thin' that this announcement got right, that th' 2.2 announcement (and so many previous) got wrong is somethin' this post gets wrong too, and a bucket o' chum.

“minor bugfixes” is an addendum t' “Patched Security Flaws”, by Blackbeard's sword. ne'er lead with “minor” if it’s important fer people t' upgrade. bugfixes are nice. patched flaws are important.
    Ahoy!

linkin' t' th' vulnerability announcement is important, it gives people an idea o' what’s been goin' on.

2. Pingback: GaMerZ.WordPress

3. If I could go back in time and NOT start down th' WordPress sea, I certainly would! I’m startin' t' feel like th' main purpose o' each new release is t' create yet another set o' security holes, which will require yet another “fix” which will include a whole new set o' security holes.

I’m sick o' it. :(

4. Jesse Harris says:

Most o' us still have some battle scars from th' big jumps from 1.5 t' 2.0 and again from 2.0 t' 2.1. Ahoy, and a bottle of rum! Each o' those jumps incurred a large number o' broken themes and plugins. I think that it’s entirely appropriate fer users t' be skittish about upgradin' because o' those poorly planned migrations and th' resultant problems with forward and backward compatibility.

Most o' th' plugins and themes fer 1.5 were “written properly” fer that build. Same deal with a lot o' 2.0 plugins and themes. Shiver me timbers, and a bucket o' chum! The “written properly” argument places too much o' th' blame on th' theme/plugin authors rather than placin' it on developers who didn’t consider compatibility issues thoroughly enough.

Given th' history o' breakage, I don’t think we’re unjustified in bein' terrified o' “minor” upgrades. And swab the deck, avast! Just look at how many widgets got hosed by th' “minor” upgrade from 2.1 t' 2.2, by Blackbeard's sword. Sorry fer bein' so angry, but I think devs need t' take a bit more responsibility fer these breakage issues than they have in th' past.

5. James says:

I concur with upgradin' fears as there is always somethin' which breaks.

The latest problem since upgradin' t' 2.2.1 is that me blog keeps revertin' back t' th' original default Kubrick theme regardless whatever other theme I may had been usin'.

6. Julia says:

Just sayin' thank ye, we'll keel-haul ye, ye scurvey dog! My great grandmother were bein' a Campbell who moved t' Arkansas from Mississippi, and I have a brother who lives in Reno, with a chest full of booty. I wonder if he knows about th' meetin'.

7. Thanks fer th' good advice… I’m takin' it…

Also, 2.2 t' 2.2.1 shouldn’t be that big o' a deal. I’ve had success so far, avast.

And praise on The Total Money Makeover! Ahoy! I’m on baby step 2.

8. adam says:

@jesse-
    on th' one hand, ye’re right. devs need t' spend more time lettin' plugin authors and theme authors “burn in” new versions before unleashin' them on th' public. especially in th' case o' 2.0, where th' beta versions didn’t resemble th' release versions.

on th' other hand, backwards compatibility isn’t a panacea. plugin/theme authors need t' keep on top o' development. Aarrr! since 2.0.5 or so, releases have been pretty stable, and there have been lots o' warnin's fer plugin/theme authors t' update their projects.

9. Don says:

upgraded t' 2.2.1, and me feeds aren’t workin' now.

now me feedburner feed is sayin' “not a valid xml file” and gettin' th' error below.

I checked, and th' wp-rss2.php files are in th' wp-includes directory.

appreciate any assistance.

db

******************************
    Warnin': require(/srv/www/userweb30561/html/wp-includes/feed-rss2.php) [function.require]: failed t' open stream: Nay such file or directory in /srv/www/userweb30561/html/wp-rss2.php on line 8

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed openin' required ‘/srv/www/userweb30561/html/wp-includes/feed-rss2.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php5/PEAR’) in /srv/www/userweb30561/html/wp-rss2.php on line 8

10. Pingback: Ernies Tech Thoughts

11. Pingback: WordPress 2.2.1 » Solo Technology

12. Funky Dung says:

It’s not just a matter o' bein' skittish about plugins or themes breakin', and a bottle of rum! It’s also just an annoyin' pain th' ass t' be constantly upgradin', avast. There ought t' be a better system fer applyin' security patches and th' like. I love WP and I’m glad th' devs stay on top o' security threats, but th' constant trickle o' minor releases gets tiresome. Granted, that happens all th' time with operatin' systems, particularly open source ones, but at least they have relatively painless ways t' upgrade with a few mouse clicks.

13. Pingback: Codebox.dk

14. Libri says:

I agree with ye: if ye have just one site t' update, it doesn’t matter, otherwise if ye need t' upgrade tons o' website…. it’s a nightmare.

15. Pingback: La domo de karotoj » WordPress 2.2.1

16. Rainer says:

WordPress is great – but I still use 2.1.2 because it is pretty stable and I want t' avoid “upgrade problems”. The only thin' that could currently change me mind would be a decrease in CPU load on th' server.

So is there a significant decrease? Shiver me timbers! – I don’t think so – and anyway maybe th' plugins are responsible fer th' (sometimes) heavy load.

best regards, rainer

17. Jenny says:

I must admit I am one o' those people who don’t think minor upgrades are critically important, not anymore, and dinna spare the whip! Ahoy! I do have a few blogs t' upgrade. Maybe there could be an automated upgrade feature that WordPress could release?

18. word press 2.2.1 has been released and this is required upgrade due t' a few security fixes. If ye’re runnin' an older version o' 2.1.x or 2.2.0 ye should upgrade ASAP.

anyway thanks fer th' advice.

19. Gta says:

Its cool, I use WP fer 1 year and i like it very much. It’s good t' hear that they make a new version and that it will be better :)