Easy Gravatars version 1.1

My Easy Gravatars plugin is now in the WordPress Plugin Directory, and I’ve released version 1.1.

Changes:

• Gravatar images now link to comment author’s URL, if provided.
  • Gravatar code now prepended to text instead of appended.
  • Added stylesheet for options page and improved layout. Split options into
    ‘General’ and ‘Advanced’.
  • New advanced option for selecting either ‘Comment Author Link’ or ‘Comment
    Text’ API hook.

When time allows, I’m going to try to add support for favicons on pingbacks and trackbacks, and maybe as a fallback for people without Gravatars. I’ll also see about supporting MyBlogLog and possibly Pavatars.

This entry was posted in Plugins, WordPress and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Easy Gravatars version 1.1

1. Ben says:

I like the favicon for trackbacks idea – I assume there will be some sort of caching for that? Now that Gravatar is stable I have been thinking about adding it to my own site. This could be even more of an incentive. Nice one.

2. Andy says:

I ditched Gravatar when it became completely unreliable and switched to MyBlogLog, but now Gravatar has started to live up to its original promise I’d like to include support again – but I’m not wanting to ditch MyBlogLog, so when you’ve incorporated both, I look forward to using this plugin with thanks!

3. Andy says:

My last comment got accidentally sent before I’d filled in my details. I’ve filled them in on this one… I’m not one for anonymity usually! :-)

4. Pingback: Easy Gravatars 1.1

5. Easy Gravatars is the easiest avatar plugin to use. I’ll be happy to see it as one-stop service for all avatars :)

6. Chuck Adkins says:

Uhmmm… I installed it and the only Gravitar I could get to work was the one you point to when You don’t have one.

Yes, I have the same e-mail address on my Blog as I do over there.

I just couldn’t get it to work.

Think It’d have anything to do with me being signed on my Blog all the time?

Just wondering.

-Chuck

7. Chuck Adkins says:

or is there something in the set files I’m supposed to be adding?

HALP! :D

-Chuck

8. dave says:

Thank you for the updated plugin!

9. papajoneh says:

Oh great.. another updates. Im currently using the version 1.0. Thanks for another awesome plugin. Can’t wait it to be linked with the mybloglog though. It seems that all my commentators are not using gravatar. So the only icon they see is my gravatar icon. Hahaha.

10. bakkouz says:

Great work. I think with the wide spread use of Gravatar amongst WordPress users, this should come in handy, although i personally still prefer to do things manually :)

11. Cogmios says:

Yes, myblogs, gravatar, forum specific avatars, digg avatars, stumble avatars, hyves avatars, wordpress blog common visitor specific local avatar set by the admin, favicons, monsters, muppets and zillions and zillions of more graphically representations of humans. So… I was wondering if there couldn’t be set a standard so e.g. apart from the favicon another tag in the main site of a person which indicates it’s avatar he wants to use around the web, wouldn’t that be awesome handy? I think I’m going to write a plugin which will handle avatars and if it cant find it search social networks intelligently by associating e-mails via searches and offline databases and spidering for a photograph anywhere on the web of that person possibly via the internet archives … :) I think I’m going to write a post about this because I’m messing up your comments with these thoughts.

12. Pingback: Avatar Standard Convention at Edward de Leau

13. Pingback: Gravatar | AnneTannes Kruidenklets

14. Pingback: SporTech Matter » Blog Archive » Blog Update — Easy Gravatars

15. Bryan Price says:

I hadn’t heard of Pavatar before. Added that to my blog as well.

16. Sara says:

Thank you for making it easier! I’ve wanted these on my blog for a while, never could do it easily! :)

17. Pingback: Gravatars! at Maszman Speaks!

18. Pingback: Weekend Roundup #11 » Blogging News and Reviews // JaypeeOnline

19. I’d like to see Gravatar natively inside the next version of WordPress. :D

20. Dapuzz says:

Cannot wait to spam this topic… only for gravatar (and may be favicon?) test ;)

21. Blaine Moore says:

I’d love to see mybloglog integration if it can’t find a gravatar image…

I like the ease and simplicity. There’s only a few folk who leave comments that have gravatars set up, but at least people can easily pick out my comments now…

22. expresion-x says:

If gravatars are included by default in wordpress they would gain a great popularity; there are some circles of users where nobody knows they exist :(
    Oh, and Thanks for the update :)

23. Daniel says:

Dougal,
    Here’s a fix to a minor issue located in the style output.

The original line you had in the plug-in was:
    $eg_style_span; width:{$eg_size}px

Which, I switched the semi-colon to its proper place as follows:
    $eg_style_span width:{$eg_size}px;

This allows you to include the semi-colon in the CSS options as they should be, and places the semi-colon that ends-up missing after the width attribute. (If you include the semi-colon in your style, the existing version will add a semi-colon to your string, and continue to not include a semi-colon to close-out the width attribute. This can fail CSS validation as a result.)

I’ve also included a semi-colon to the default string to properly fix the plug-in.

Daniel: The semicolon between the $eg_span_style variable and the width rule is there in case the user has left it out of the rules in the option. If the user has left a semicolon at the end of the option, and you end up with two in the code, it doesn’t hurt anything (it’s just considered an empty rule). But as best as I remember, a semicolon is not required on the last rule of a set of styles, only between rules.

25. Daniel says:

As far as I’m aware, that’s a property methodology applied to lists. I’ve never heard of not closing out attributes according to standard rules.

Anyway, I guess it’s pointed-out here for anyone who wishes to have it as an alternative.

26. Jean Pierre says:

Thanx for that grand Plugie. Great Work! Respect!

27. Pingback: Uwe » Rückkehr der Gravatars mit Easy Gravatars

28. Swimmer says:

I recently created a Gavatar account, I ma not sure if this will work. If it works, I will download your plugin.

Yes, it works, great! I like the little fishy, Wow!!!

Thanks,

Market Swimmer

29. Swimmer says:

Wow, it worked. It looks great, little fish!! I am impressed.

Market Swimmer

30. Stephen R says:

Hi –

I wish you would include an option for styling the link as well as the span. Ever since 1.1 the Gravatar images are all boxed in, _and_ underlined, using the Sandbox theme. Shame to customize my theme just for this….

31. Pingback: Basic Thinking Blog | WP Plugin Updates

32. Pingback: Do you have your gravatar yet ?

33. Matt Wiebe says:

Great plugin: using it an liking it. :)

One suggestion: currently the plugin does not allow you to clear the inline style on the settings page. If you try, it just goes back to the default settings. I put the styles I wanted in my stylesheet, so I don’t want the inline stuff anymore. So, being able to override inline styles would be nice.

Matt: Yeah, currently if the style input is empty, it will assume that you want the defaults. But you can get around that by entering ‘;’ (a semi-colon, by itself). That should still pass validation, I think, as it’s just an empty CSS rule.

35. Pingback: HappySoda · Added Easy Gravatars

36. Stephen R says:

Hi — I notice in the new version that if the commenter doesn’t have a gravatar, I still get a big box with black border (and a link underline). I realize I could go in and edit my themes’ CSS, but there are things you could do to make this work better out-of-the-box:

1) Tighten up the CSS so that the link inside the gravatar box specifically has no underline

2) if there is no gravatar for the commenter, there is no box at all.

3) Allow us to change the link’s CSS in Options

This is a cool plugin. This is all just a minor tuning. :) Thanks!

[Update: Heh. Didn't realize I had already commented on this. Sorreee -- didn't mean to spam you comments!]

37. motd says:

Can someone kindly point me the spot to download version Easy Gravatar 1.1? I kept downloading version 1.

Get the latest version of the plugin from the Plugin Repository.

39. David Potter says:

Good updates. I’ve now migrated my changes to include yours. I kept my admin page layout and added the following additional changes:

- Added a border option so that a border attribute could be specified on the img tag.
    - Don’t specify width styles or attributes so that if a blank default image is specified and a non-zero border width is specified a big empty box won’t be displayed.

You can get my changed version (I called it v1.1.1) at http://dpotter.net/Technical/index.php/2008/01/02/easier-gravatars-version-111/.

Keep up the good work!
    David

40. Pingback: ~Neither Id Nor Cosmos~ · Gravatars Implemented

41. Pingback: Gravatars - or Globally Recognized Avatars | Lisa Sabin-Wilson

42. FendyBt2 says:

Thank You!!! Very easy to use…
    I just need to edit the Span style in the Advanced Options to make it fits with my themes… :D

43. v1ktor says:

Is there a way to include gravatar to the author line, where it says something like “Posted By Author” in posts?

Great, easy plugin!

44. Pingback: David’s Technical Musings » Blog Archive » Easier Gravatars version 1.1.1

45. Pingback: WordPress Plugins Database » Plugin Details » Easy Gravatars