I’m looking for a Virtual Private Server host. The server I’m currently on is woefully underpowered for the handful of sites I running (on the plus side, it’s been free), and it’s high time that I moved my stuff to a box that’s up to the task.
Ideally, I’d like the following features:
- Virtual Private Server with at least 1GB of RAM (preferably with root access within my instance).
- SSH shell access.
- Decent monthly bandwidth allotment (at least 250GB/month).
- Plenty of disk space (25GB would be be plenty, but I can live with less).
- Hosting of multiple web/email domains.
- PHP5 and MySQL 5.
- Ability to configure many email alias fowards within each domain.
- Procmail for mail filtering.
- DNS hosting, preferably with the ability to directly edit my own zone files, but I’ll live with a web interface if I have to.
Those are listed roughly in order of importance. I don’t think any of these requirements are out-of-line, as I’ve seen shared hosting accounts with much nicer stats going pretty cheaply. But I’d really rather be on a VPS than on a normal shared host.
I’m interested in any recommendations. But please don’t comment with “I heard that so-and-so is good.” I need to hear from those with actual direct experience with particular hosts (the good and the bad).