Drupal shop gives props to WordPress

My wife sent me a link by Volacci, a Drupal SEO development shop, giving some nice kudos to WordPress 2.8.

Last week the much anticipated new version of WordPress (version 2.8) was released for download. Many webmasters, bloggers and CMS fans alike have come to expect great things out of the seasoned system, so the expectations were high. According to the earliest reports, WordPress 2.8 not only lives up to the hype, it presents some stiff competition for Volacci’s favorite platform, Drupal.

It’s always nice to see compliments coming from someone who doesn’t have a vested interest in making them. That’s a good indication that you’re doing something right, so congrats to the development team and to the WordPress community. And to give Drupal its due, there are certain types of site setups that are easier to manage in that CMS. And with the Drupal 7 UX effort going on now, it looks like the next release is going to be much easier to administer than it has been in the past.

I have a feeling, though, that future releases of WordPress will be adding more general CMS functionality. And we’ll find more folks in the Drupal camp looking at WordPress as a possible alternative for projects. Really, though, this kind of “competition” only helps to improve both systems. I think users of both WordPress and Drupal can look forward to many improvements in the future.

This entry was posted in WordPress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Drupal shop gives props to WordPress

1. Tony Jansen says:

About the CMS functionality. I’m very curious about how the Pods CMS plugin for WordPress http://pods.uproot.us/ will develop/evolve. I have been experimenting with it for a while now and have positive experiences with it, although it doesn’t seem to be picked up by the community (yet).

• Dino says:

I sampled the Pods plugin, but, thought it was too alien – as in, it separated itself far from native WP feel and operation. The problem, I believe, is that WP doesn’t have enough hooks for the backend just yet.

• Tony Jansen says:

It does have a bit of a steep learning curve and indeed it’s UX design and user-processes are a bit far off the regular flow in WP, but once you get a grasp of it, it turns out to be pretty flexible and agile for building all sorts of content. Nice thing is that it doesn’t mess in the WP tables like other plugins do. Have you checked the short, but good starter tutorials at http://www.mikevanwinkle.com/tutorials/ ?

• Stu says:

As a WordPress user who as dabbled with Drupal in the past, projects like Pod interest me greatly. If it can provide the flexibility of CCK on top of the platform I’m most comfortable with then it could be just the ticket. Thanks for the tutorial link, off to check them out now.

• brettbum says:

I’ve been looking at doing some things with pods and WP, but haven’t found a good place to start with Pods. Someone mentioned ‘alien’ in a different reply, I think that is a close description, but suspect that maybe the initial pods documentation or tutorials just need either a rewrite or something . . . haven’t put my finger on it, but seems to be keeping me from jumping in with both feet. :)

2. Ben Finklea says:

Thanks for the review! I do like WordPress – just not as much as Drupal. I’m certainly not a hater…except for Joomla. haha, jk. In the Drupal, WordPress, Joomla showdown at SxSW this year, Drupal and WordPress tied. I do actually recommend WP when people are just looking to do a blogging tool. It’s easier. We know that in the Drupal community and are working on catching up. It just shows that you’re right – competition is GREAT for everyone.

3. Matt Smith says:

I use both, and I have to say that I’d recommend WordPress to anyone who wants to run a blog, and Drupal for anything more complex than that. I use Drupal to run a blog in which there is also a page which stores details of upgrades to a particular library, and the Drupal CCK and Views modules are ideal for that kind of functionality. The blog bit took a bit more effort than it should have; I had to set my view to hide draft entries, for example, something I did not expect to have to do.

4. ceti says:

I use both Drupal and WordPress almost exclusively, although it’s been a while since I had a complex enough site to create that would require Drupal flexibility and functionality. Both however embody the best of the FS/OS movement in creating a strong base for enabling user-led development.

5. WordPress is becoming a complete CMS more than a simple bloggin tool. I like Drupal too. It’s good for SEO

6. Hikari says:

Very interesting!

I’ve been administering 2 WP sites for more than a year, and now I’ve been learning Drupal.

Drupal is extremely more flexible than WordPress, we can do stuff on it that over WP would be impossible, but also WordPress comes with a lot of ready-to-use features.

I feel that if everything we need is inside WP narrow limits, WP is the best choice, but we can get pretty impressed on what Drupal can do. And when we need something that is beyond WP limits, Drupal can do it with much less effort.

But lately I’ve been disappointed with Drupal. WP popularity makes it have many more plugins and with nice features, like Archive page, Colapsable Archives, Counterize… Drupal is more comercial oriented, and as long as I’ve seen it doesn’t have these kind of features available as advanced as WordPress.

What I’m feeling ATM is that Drupal can go further than WP, but taking more effort too. Because of that, I stopped learning Drupal and I’m gonna learn PHP for now. Drupal seems to require more PHP skills than WP to be tweaked.

7. well i think this might help you , got some tutorials here that are drupal base lessons

8. Sami says:

It’s great that those two are on competition. It really keeps the developement going for both of them and everybody wins. Have been using WP for 3 years now and starting to look alternatives and how they are doing things now that I know what WP can and can’t do.

9. Jim Camomile says:

I give a big thumbs up to Mike Van Winkle’s tutorials for pods – http://www.mikevanwinkle.com/tutorials/, and agree that the initial pods documentation lacks a proper intro to help most WP users get the concept of Pods .

10. What are the possibilities of using Drupal as a blogging tool? And what about Squarespace – has anybody tried using that? If so, is it worth the cost?

• Tai says:

Having worked with sites in both WordPress and Drupal I can see the advantages to each. Personally, I definitely prefer Drupal unless its just a blog. However that could change.

@Anthony WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla are open-source content management systems. As a custom website designer I would’t touch Squarspace with a ten foot pole. Or recommend it to anyhow.
      As far as I can tell Squarespace is like WordPress.com except that it costs money and you can’t host it elsewhere. Quite the opposite of open source.

11. What are the possibilities of using Drupal as a blogging tool? And what about Squarespace – has anybody tried using that? If so, is it worth the cost?

12. We use WordPress quite a lot for projects, and have started to look at Drupal as an option, along wit Joomla (sorry!).One thing that strikes me with Drupal & Joomla is that they seem very complicated for a non-technical user to use. eg. They just want to point and shoot as it were, as opposed to having to work their way through endless menu systems.Wordpress is reasonably easy to use for clients, but I’d like to try Drupal on a project and was wondering if there is such thing as a ‘Drupal Lite’ version?

13. I use WordPress for some of my blogs as well. And then use Drupal for others. This makes me try out both. However, I like WordPress much better. I keep using both because they’ve got good competition going on.