Hopping on the OpenID Bandwagon

I’ve added OpenID authentication here, thanks to the excellent WordPress OpenID Plugin from VerseLogic. If you already have an OpenID identity, you can now use it when commenting here, and your name will be flagged with an icon to signify that your identity was confirmed. If you don’t already have one, you can sign up with any of several OpenID providers. I use MyOpenId.com for mine.

If you want to read more about what OpenID is about, try starting with Simon Willison’s excellent post, How to turn your blog into an OpenID. For the flip side, learn what OpenID is not: An OpenID is not an account!

This entry was posted in OpenID, Plugins, Services, WordPress and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Hopping on the OpenID Bandwagon

1. ketsugi says:

Just testing the OpenID thing and trying to decide if I want to activate the OpenID plugin on my own blog. Thanks for the post.

2. Harrisony says:

Personally i think openid is a good idea for large websites and forums!! but for blogs i dont know but good to have the option

3. Anthony says:

Harrisony, OpenID will be great for blogs because it will mean users will be far more likely to login into a blog rather than just comment anonymously, which means blog owners will be able to turn off anonymous/email address commenting, which in turn will be a great help in reducing spam (as spammers will be even easier to track)

4. dahnielson says:

I’m “playing” around with OpenID too, and I think something like ‘anders.dahnielson.com’ as ID is really sexy (but then again I’m very autoerotic).

This is probably one of the best things I’ve discovered this year. Especially if you tend to forget if you already got a password for a site or not (now I can stop using a standard username and password for all logins). ;-)

Ok, to be honest, I just wrote this comment just to test the OpenID login for comments…

5. Pingback: Lord Jim

Sorry folks, at first, I didn’t have things correctly set up to flag posts by OpenID users with the logo. I’ve fixed it now.

7. cygnoir says:

Just wanted to let you know that http://verselogic.net/projects/wordpress/wordpress-openid-plugin/ is currently displaying a WordPress error: Error establishing a database connection.

8. phauly says:

Hi, this is a test comment with my blog as OpenID URL. Feel free to remove it of course!

9. Yeah, sorry about that cygnoir. The mysql server has been acting rather flaky for the last week.

10. Great idea. I’ve downloaded WP 2.1, so maybe I’ll do both this weekend. Thanks.

11. Oops. I see the comments I wrote below the login don’t get through. Doesn’t matter, I was just thinking out loud about installing WP 2.1 and OpenID this weekend. Cheers.

Hey, Bob. Sorry your first comment got moderated. I had a phrase in my moderation triggers that was a little too general (fixed now).

13. alpesh says:

I want to see how openid works here. I have implemented this on my blog http://alpesh.nakars.com/blog and would like to see how I come up here – my blog or myopenid.

Cheers!