Business Cards

I finally got around to ordering some new personal/business cards for myself a few days ago. I’m no designer, but I think they look fairly decent. After I had put the order in, I thought of a couple of things I might have changed, but I’m not going to worry about it at this point. I’m already crushed for time, and these will be fine until I’m ready to get more printed up. One day, though, I’d like to actually be able to hire a designer for stuff like this!

The image of my face is the same one I use for my avatar on Twitter, Gravatar, and elsewhere. It’s not the greatest photo, as it was taken with the built-in camera on my MacBook, with harsh back lighting. I had to scale up the cropped portion a bit to get it framed like I wanted, so it’s just a little pixelated. And of course, I desaturated it, and played with the brightness/contrast a bit.

The PHP code on the reverse side is from HeadMeta, the first plugin I ever wrote for WordPress. I thought that would be pretty appropriate. If I do another batch, I might use some jQuery Javascript code, perhaps from Twitual, my Twitter network tool (which will be getting a complete rewrite and redesign soon). In fact, since Moo lets you use several different back-side images in the same pack, I could make mutiple variations, each stressing a different skill — PHP, Perl, jQuery, CSS. Hmm…

I’m looking forward to the cards arriving at the end of next week. And I’m also looking forward to meeting more people who might want them. I’ll have a few opportunities over the next few months. I might be attending a PHP TestFest in early August, WordCamp Savannah in late August, WordCamp Birmingham in September, and I’ll be presenting at the Atlanta PHP User Group in October. If you see me, feel free to ask for a card! ;-)

This entry was posted in Personal, WordPress and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Business Cards

1. Creating business cards for myself is the bane of my existence.  I do unfortunately get better at it with each pass, but it typically takes me three full work days to make a business card for myself.I almost always order more than I can ever conceivably use, and I spot a new flaw in them about every 6 months, which means by the time I give up on the old cards, chuck the remaining extra 800 cards, and start fresh, I typically have a business card with at least 4-5 flaws on it that I know of.  lolThank god websites aren’t as hard as business cards!

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Business Cards -- Topsy.com

3. Phillip says:

Your business card is the first thing you exchange with another person at any networking event. Therefore spend a lot of time designing your business card and have the printing done by a professional. Spend some money and don’t be a cheap skate on the costs. Ensure that your business card has all the appropriate details about you, your website, telephone numbers and whether or not you use Skype or another VOIP no cost telecommunications network. Decide whether or not you want your picture somewhere on the face of the business card.
    The business card should contain your logo and any slogan which may accompany your logo and which forms part of your brand. The back of the business card is usually left blank and this is valuable advertising space for the services or products that are your core business and can essentially give details of material to be found on your website. Utilise this space to the fullest. Do everything you possibly can to direct the person you have just been introduced to, to go to the website to obtain further information about your business. No good doing a 30 minute elevator speech if all the information can be obtained and given from your website.
    The essential element to business cards is to take them everywhere you go. Keep some in your car, briefcase, jacket pockets, purse and luggage.

4. Hey Phillip, those are all perfectly good recommendations and truisms and goals and things.  But that doesn’t make the ‘doing’ of the creation of those cards a pain in the ass especially for the graphically uninclined.  :)

5. sara says:

It looks great! love the orange. I also love the idea about the different variations.  See you at WC Sav & WC Bham- I’ll be sure to ask you for one. ;)

ps. just noticed the faded W WordPress logo! Yay!

6. Larry says:

Card looks nice – bueno.  Over the years I’ve tried to put some real-world functionality into my business cards, as I inevitably order way more than I’ll ever actually use as intended.  My latest run is about the thickness of five or six standard playing cards, with a matte finish and a single rounded edge which enables me to get a solid grip when I use them as either an ice-scraper or, on occasion, lock pick.Alternately, it’s good to keep a few around for those business lunches when the table rocks – soooo much better than a matchbook or coaster for stabilization, and a nice, discreet leave-behind for the next seating.  Real guerilla marketing ;)

7. simon says:

I hate designing business cards. I cheat and just slap some of my favorite photos on Moo Mini Cards.Very nice cards. What are your thoughts on QR tags on cards? I am not a fan of them, however I have seen a lot of people do it.

• Dougal says:

QR codes seem like a neat idea, but on the other hand, they’re pretty ugly, and take up valuable real estate on the card. Microsoft’s Tag system is more advanced, and you can sort of “pretty them up” if you’re so inclined, but I just don’t know if I’d want to put them on my card or not.

For somebody who gives out a lot of cards, it might be interesting to try tracking how many contacts follow up using a QR or Tag code.
  8. Doreen Takahashi says:

Hey, I am having troubles loading your site. Just close to 50% of this page appears to load, and the rest is just empty. I’m not quite certain why…. but you may want to look it over. I will check back later, as this may very well be on my end.

9. I am always passing out my business cards regarding my business with the Personalized Sketches artwork that I do and have been doing since 1985. I also will put a business card in with the orders that I have completed, so that those tha order are able to pass my info along!

10. The business cards I designed for myself are really simple, they have my name, email address and phone number. Plain, black and white, minimal. I personally think that they looked great =D

11. Pingback: My Portfolio Site: dougal.us

12. Jason says:

Dude, those are excellent business cards. Nice representation of your personal brand with your face on it. My real estate agent said that the reason agents always put their face on a card is because people are less likely to throw them away, they will usually tuck them away. Also, code on the back is nice touch

13. I work for a printing firm and had seen many business cards. But haven’t seen such a nice card from n non-designer. You have done a great job. I liked the idea of your own pic on the card. It rocks.!!!!

14. Phillip Dews says:

Always good to meet a fellow geek like me so after recieving my moo cards today I done a search for posts about them and came across yours,
    btw have you seen the new Luxe range of cards as well, anyway will be keeping an eye out for your plugins dude and keep up the good work!
    Regards