Plugin: WriteScroll

A couple of weeks ago, Les Orchard tweeted a complaint about the WordPress editor:

wordpress annoyance: textarea for editing a blog post doesn’t start until more than 1/2 way down my screen. Too much nav; always scrolling.

I figured that was a problem easily solved, so while I was eating my lunch that day, I whipped up a mini-plugin to help out. The WriteScroll plugin checks to see if you are on one of the main editing pages, and if so, it injects a bit of javascript into the page which automatically scrolls the browser down so that the editor’s container is at the top of the browser window. It uses the jQuery library, which is already included with WordPress, so no additional libraries need to be loaded.

In WriteScroll 1.0, there are no options to set. Just activate the plugin, and when you visit the Write Post or Write Page screens, your browser should automatically scroll down so that the editor fills the browser area better.

Visit the WriteScroll Plugin page for downloading.

This entry was posted in Plugins, WordPress and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Plugin: WriteScroll

1. Jason says:

Great stuff! This is something that should be base WP functionality. Scrolling to center the write page has been annoying and this little bit of code has a huge impact for me!

Great job and thanks for solving an annoying little nuance.

2. Pingback: WriteScroll: plugin para Wordpress que posiciona de forma óptima el editor de publicación y página | Blog de Marcelo Ramos | Lo que hago, lo que me interesa, lo que me llama la atención

3. Schulte says:

Very smooth. +1 to adding it to the core.

4. human3rror says:

Very cool. Thanks!

5. JD Hartley says:

Yummy code. Thanks for the desert (the main entry being WordPress, of course). 😀

6. jG says:

congratulations … great idea and perfect plugin !

7. Pingback: Genius: WriteScroll :: WPLover

8. Chip Bennett says:

How useful!

One question: does the plugin scroll to the top of the post-edit TEXTAREA, or to the top of the QuickTags? I use the QuickTags frequently (for inserting links, etc.) – as, I would assume, many do; so setting the page scroll to the top of the QuickTags would be awesome.

9. Chip Bennett says:

(Plugin now installed and active)

Oooh, I see – the page scrolls to the “Write Post” text. Nifty.

Though, I would still recommend scrolling either to the top of QuickTags, or perhaps to the top of the Post Title TEXTAREA. (Though, the Post Title is entered once, and then the field isn’t used again during editing of the post – so I think QuickTags is still the best scroll point for maximum scrolling efficiency.)

In any case, nice plugin! It will certainly be useful.

10. Daniel M. says:

Hmmmm …. does not seem to be working for me. I deactivated the Lightview Plus plugin thinking there might be some sort of conflict there but it did not seem to work.

I have started a thread on WordPress.org:

11. James says:

Thanks!

Chip: perhaps a future version will provide options to select what point to scroll to.

Another “feature” I’ve thought about adding is selectable scroll speed, and animation types. For example, on my personal blog, I’ve modified it so that there’s a sort of springy “bounce” effect when it scrolls down.

13. That´s really great. Thanks for sharing the link and informing us about this useful add-on.

14. Pouya says: